"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

A year plus in review

It's almost 2013 and I feel the need to catch up on this here blog for the last six years of my life. Let me sum up: 2006 - move to Boston to attend doctoral program in psychology. my apartment gets broken into, i become dysthymic (aka slightly depressed), and i drown in reading and writing. 2007 - still in Boston, but move to a nicer/safer neighborhood. Still dysthymic. Still in the program (by the hair of my chinny chin chin). Cosmo kitty gets very very sick but gets better with lots of TLC. 2008 - ditto above. except this year I have to take my doctoral comprehensive examinations. Where if you don't pass, you can't move on... and if you fail again, they kick you out of the program. I pass (with distinction). yay me. I can still bullshit with the best. Cosmo gets his eye removed and becomes dashing pirate kitteh. 2009 - i teach an undergraduate class to get used to public speaking and to see whether I enjoy teaching. I become much more comfortable with public speaking, but decide teaching undergrads is not probably something I should do. 2010 - I finally dig into the dissertation. I apply to get the hell out of Boston. Cosmo dies. (sniff) 2011 - Move to Chicago for internship. Eat all of Chicago... except the pizza, steak, italian. What does that leave? Rick Bayless's tortas, Takashi's noodles, TAPAS TAPAS TAPAS (Girl and the Goat, Purple Pig, Davanti Enoteca, Publican,... and more). Danger dies. (sniff sniff)... I still have yet to write his goodbye letter. 2012 - FINALLY move back to Denver. Defend the dissertation. Begin post doc. Adopt two more kitties who are siblings. Little grey kitty named Katie and another black boy named Oliver (Ollie). They're very naughty. For those of you wondering, my father still calls me an unrelenting number of times if I do not pick up. Even if I DO pick up, I"m not safe. He might call again and again and again. He's semi-retired and BORED. I shudder to think how much he'd call had my brother not had some children. ps. These years are all in "academic time." Someone recently told me I am no longer allowed to measure time in semesters, but I agreed to teach a course this spring, so I think I still get to use semesters as a marker of time. pps. pics to come. they're all on my iphone. Wait! I have pics of the new kitties downloaded.
they're awful cute when they're asleep and not climbing up my shower curtain or my screen door or jumping onto my counter tops or or climbing up all my clothes in the closet or stepping all over my alarm clock buttons.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terby said...

Welcome back to blogging! It's good to see you out here again. :)

1/1/13, 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you! Welcome back! I hope you enjoy this round of teaching, and are enjoying your post-doc!
--Llyrsdaughter

1/2/13, 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Carrie#K said...

Wow, that was in 2006? Forget measuring life by semesters, I'm starting to do it by the decade.

I was so sorry to hear Cosmo and now Danger as well? but the new kitties are too cute!

1/3/13, 2:58 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Wow, nice to see your blog post Cyn! What a recap too.

1/21/13, 5:21 PM  
Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

High, girl!
Faith, hope, and love -
the greatest of these is love:
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love.
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
(what I write);
God believes in you.
God. Bless. You.
Meet me where the Son never goes down…

4/27/15, 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home