"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Prats and Pitfalls of Being a Busybody

I'm trying to be a good, conscientious student. As I told someone last night, I can get work done just by procrastinating... by doing work I would rather do than the work I don't want to do. Work still gets done, and at some point, the work I don't WANT to do becomes work i HAVE to do, leaving me little choice. Which explains why I am at Panera Bread, enjoying soup and free wi-fi while I edit documents, manuscripts, and skim book chapters for class this week.

***POST IS NOT KNITTING RELATED. POST IS ABOUT POLITICS AND ME BEING NOSY. If you do not want to read about my political opinions, you should probably SKIP THIS POST****

A lovely family sitting in a booth across the way are having THE DISCUSSION. About politics. On one hand, I congratulate them for being mature enough to be able to discuss politics within the family. That's not how it works in my fam. I pretend my parents are voting with their pocketbooks, and they pretend I didn't vote for Clinton two terms in a row (though I think that's the closest I got to being disowned).

The son, a physician (they were talking about his job previous to the politics discussion) started talking about how Obama's minister/preacher, Jeremiah Wright is an anti-semite. How he has often had Palestinians and TERRORISTS (how I hate that word) come and guest speak at his church. How since Pastor Wright and Obama are such bosom buddies, that Obama must be an anti-Semite as well...

**convo became to quiet for me to get particulars for a minute**

Then, we move onto how the SON (the doctor) is also pro-life. In my head, I grumble, EVERYONE IS EFFING PRO-LIFE you asshole!! No one is pro-abortion! But I am staunchly pro-choice. oops. Got off topic. My anti-men thing is coming out here, b/c I am not sure that I respect the opinion of men about the topic of the legalities of abortion. Should men get a vote on what a woman can do to her body and reproductive organs? (I had more vitriolic rant going off here... which I deleted. You can tell I'm not happy.)

So, my question to you, (should you still be reading my rant here) is... is any of this true? Is Pastor Wright a known anti-Semite? Should we judge Obama based on this... allegation? Then my question becomes... how come we didn't judge the current Prez on these criteria (judged by associations and their alleged values).

-- off to Stapes to buy school supplies. Pens. Pens with a very very fine tip make me happy. Graph paper for my statistics class. I love graph paper. It helps me take very neat notes... I can be happy with the small details.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you found a good pen. I love sharp ones too. Your question about Obama's pastor... no idea but I won't hold it against Obama if it's true anymore than I would hold it against anyone else (as I understand it's a huge congregation) that also attends his church. It is possible to not always agree with someone you are friends with. ;) My 2 cents.

9/7/08, 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that who someone associates with is one criteria on which you can judge [particularly a Presidential candidate] but not by choosing the one who has the most controversial stance/comment/circumstances and extrapolating wildly from there.

Does the majority of people Barack Obama surround himself sound similar to Rev Wright? Or does he listen to and have friends, acquaintances and colleagues of all stripes? This cuts both sides of the aisle, btw.

I'd completely support barring men from voting on women's reproductive issues. I'm not in favor of abortions - who is? with all the birth control available it ought to be a moot point, except for a small, small minority (please tell me that it's a small, small minority of women who are raped and impregnated) but it isn't, and it's no one business but the mother, her doctor and who she chooses to include in that decision.

9/7/08, 4:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have no idea about Obama's minister - but it sounds a bit like media mongering to me.

Don't even get me started on choice. No kidding - we are all pro-life. Just some people are anti-choice. They can go live in The Handmaid's Tale, please.

9/7/08, 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know about the reverend either other than he was a bit of a wackadoo. but like chris, i think it stinks of fox-news-ish exaggeration.

9/8/08, 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home