"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Happiness is... having great friends

As you all know, I'm heading out to NYC and NJ next weekend to spend time with some college friends and interview at Seton Hall University (mostly known for NCAA basketball). My friend Anna cracks me up. She and I lived across the hall from each other freshman year of college, and didn't become friends until February... during which we both returned early after spring break... and were the only people there. Forced companionship forged a lifetime of friendship.
After a weekend of class, coming home to the following email definitely put a smile on my face:

so far on saturday we have plans:
they are

Essex for brunch at 11am (check it out on
menupages or essexnyc: I haven't been there
but it looks awesome: scott and I have passed outside.


And then The Bodies Exhibition at 1:30pm with the
Audio Tour at Southstreet Seaport



And then at 7:30pm we have reservations at Rain Scott and I loved this restaurant!!!
Awesome Thai food. It's also an the upper west side,
the chi-chi area rich family oriented area of
manhattan.

Of course, if none of this sounds good let me know.
We can always change it. I am soooo excited.


Anyone else notice WHERE the bodies exhibit is located? NEAR Seaport Yarns.
Can I continue to deny myself yarn while in NYC? The land of the shopping? If I buy yarn, then I'll be kicked out of the Stash-A-Long two weeks early. TWO measly weeks! GAR!

So, when do you all think is a good time to let my parents know that I'm applying for PhD programs? I got a phone call on Thursday evening from Boston College... and it's not good news, but it's not bad news. What else is left? The anxiety producing in between place of the alternate list. Which means that it depends on who and how many of the 7 people they made offers to actually accept. My supervisor said that it's the best place to be because I can't do anything... so why worry? I WISH I could operate like that.... now i'll be on pins and needles until I hear back.

In knitting news, I am THIS close to finishing the Noro Shrug. Since I started a week late, does that mean I get a gold medal if I finish by tomorrow? Wanna see a pic?


I added some short rows, and some increases... i think my gauge is slightly off, and the shrug would've been short if I hadn't done so. Also the short rows to add some width to the sides for extra coverage in the front. I'm pretty happy with it.



At a recent knitting meetup, Kim gifted me with her extra copy of Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road. I couldn't resist the Conwy. Just go look for yourself... isn't the sock beauteous? Thanks Kim! (she looks sweet, but watch out! She's a sock pusher! She would be the one that introduced me to the Sensational Knitted Sock book too)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous- I wish I had the excuse to head to NYC. How come my field never has conferences there?? Lucky you! And good luck!

3/5/06, 1:37 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

That is so cool you are coming to the Garden State. Definitely stop by stix-n-stitches in Montclair, NJ. You will love the town. In fact, we have five yarn shops in the town. Two walking distance from s-n-s which is a few miles away from Seton Hall.

Good luck resisting Seaport Yarns. Very difficult!

3/5/06, 6:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I don't know if it'd be worth it with only two weeks left - plus you know Kim personally. :)

Sounds like a fun interlude in NYC, tho!

3/5/06, 7:05 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

sounds like you'll be having a great time - hmmm, to NOT buy yarn while in NYC... that's just WRONG! the shrug - gorgeous!

3/6/06, 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors in the shrug, it's the kind of colors that will go with so many things.

Oh and in case I forget to say later, have a great trip!

3/6/06, 8:33 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Dang, I just love your shrug. It looks like you'll be finished soon! Can't wait to see it.

Have fun on your trip to the NYC/NJ area. As soon as you mentioned the exhibit by South Seaport, I immediately thought that I must tell Cyn about Seaport Yarns. That was the store I went to while in NYC last year. It's really a great store and it's large and lots of cool handpaints and stuff that I think you will like. It will be hard to resist buying yarn, so you might not want to go in. If you do, you may be buying yarn sweetheart! Oh and remember the entryway into this place looks like an apartment building, and you have to be buzzed in from the outside before you can come in. And then take the elevator up.

3/6/06, 10:43 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

It will be so hard not to buy anything at Seaport Yarns. Seaport Yarns is actually along my subway line going home and it is always so hard not hop off the train and run up there.

3/6/06, 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the shrug, and it has knit up so fast for you, it gives me hope that mine will be done sooner rather than later.

NYC sounds great, and hell buy yarn, why not!!! You deserve it!! I think we both agree we would rather tell our parents the good news once it is really good news, instead of now when they will bug, bug, bug. Do what feels right for you, not what your guilty side says. good luck in NY!

3/6/06, 12:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I say let your parents know AFTER you have been accepted into a program--then it's more about celebrating than advice. A sock pusher, huh? Well there are worse things I could be, I guess ;) Good luck at your interview and if you fall off the Stashalong wagon make sure you get some great stuff(like sock yarn LOL). Just passing through on Stashalong patrol--good luck this week!

3/6/06, 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Just in time for your trip. You have a beautiful shrug. Am a little upset the I won't fit in your suit case! Have fun....and am crossing my fingers for good luck on your inter-views!

3/7/06, 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

conwy is one of my favourite sock patterns, it is so soothing to knit!

3/8/06, 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know - I think the news from BC is pretty great. You're talented and deserving - you will find your place!!!

The shrug's construction is similar to the Hot Lava cardi!

3/8/06, 2:15 PM  
Blogger jen said...

WOw, that is so darn cute!! I'm really going to have to make that shrug. I think it'd be cute in my "ultra-bright-blue-and-green-colorway" (#40), don't you? Enjoy NY! PS, do I have your address? Can you email it to me? :)

3/9/06, 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home