"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, February 17, 2006

in which i place myself on the IR list

OMG. Who the heck has heard of an injured reserve list for the knitting olympics? Seriously. Last night, I had to pop an advil and wrap my wrist in a thermacare heat pad b/c my hand and wrist were throbbing in pain. All that, just so I could get to sleep. For those of you who don't know me too well, I do NOT take meds unless the pain is pretty bad. I was unable to hold my paper back book in my right hand last night when I was trying to read myself to sleep (which I do every night).


That's a pic of my wrist, all taped up in the heat pad (I LOVE thermacare!).
I don't think that knitting is the only thing contributing to my knitting injury.

Typing on my laptop, around kitty Cosmo, is probably NOT ergonomically correct... and probably contributes to the pain in the right hand and wrist.

I'm on the 8th row of my Lady Elenor, and I think I have to bow out from the Knitting Olympics. While I woke up this morning feeling fine (or, my hand/wrist felt fine), the pain came back as I seamed up the mittens for the Scarf Exchange. I will persevere and attempt to continue, but will probably not be able to knit the 3,000 stitches per night I need to average in order to finish.

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh no!! Don't aggravate your wrist!! You probably need to rest it. :(

You tell Cosmo he should be lying on your wrist and purring to send healing kitty heat energy in there.

2/17/06, 6:06 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Knitter down! Yikes, sorry about your arm there. Definitely not a good thing, but I'm starting to think the Olympics is a bad idea in terms of speed knitting, too many injuries!

2/17/06, 6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend a massage - all Olympic athletes get them, why shouldn't we? I had one yesterday afternoon, and my arms are feeling much better! Take care of yourself! And remember - Olympic gold isn't worth doing serious damage to your body.

2/17/06, 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry! hope you heal up quickly.

2/17/06, 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Don't kill yourself though. Follow the snowboarders' example, not the figure skaters: it's just the olympics, there'll be lots of other knitting later.

2/17/06, 8:28 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

OMG! i am soooooo sorry that you hurt your wrist.... i do hope you will be on the mend soon :)

2/17/06, 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you poor thing! Ouch! Aren't those heating things great though.

And the picture of the kitty, freaked me out I couldn't figure out how int he world the cat was doing that with it's neck, then I realized how Cosmo was laying and okay, but it's an odd picture. Cute kitty though.

2/17/06, 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You really sacrificed yourself for the sport...but be careful! I know it must be bad if you are thinking of quitting...since I know how competitive you are. I hope you are feeling better today, and I'll see you tonight for some Mexican and knitting...although maybe you just need a few margarita's!!

2/17/06, 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it! Give that arm some rest. Mine act up sometimes too. I usually end up ace wrapping it overnight when that happens because if I don't I wake up with them all curled up and asleep. You've been working alot on smaller needles lately and you are a tight knitter. It sounds like you've just strained yourself.

2/17/06, 10:09 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

oh no. see there is such a thing as too much knitting. you can stll finish the blanket, just at a more liesurely pace. fell better soon.

2/17/06, 10:51 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

Ow! That's not fun. Even if you're medication averse, keep taking the anti-inflammatories for a couple days, it will help your arm to heal faster. Feel better soon.

2/17/06, 1:16 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

Ouch! Rest up and take it easy, the olympic gold isn't worth further injury. And Stacey's idea of a few margarita's can't hurt either. :)

2/17/06, 4:41 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Oh no! Sports injury! I hope your wrist is feeling better soon!

2/18/06, 12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your wrist - I agree, knitting can aggravate but I also think typing, etc., contribute. I go through that and have to back off a while also. Those thermacare pads are FANTASTIC! Every once and a while my back gets out of whack and those things are a god send.

2/18/06, 11:29 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I hope your wrist is feeling better. Just passing through on Stashalong patrol--have a great week!

2/19/06, 3:13 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oh no! rest up - have you considered the (terribly ugly) theraputic gloves? my wrist pain has dropped a LOT since i started wearing them while crafting/computering.....

2/26/06, 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home