"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Bookish and Boston

I got back from Boston late late Monday night or early early Tuesday morning (whichever you prefer). I had a blast hanging out with Wendy and her family. I didn't get to take a picture of the canine furbabies, but here's a couple shots of the feline furbabies.
. I got to share a room with these two, because Wendy was kind enough to let me stay at her place while I was in Boston for the big interview. Ah... the interview.

So, I got to meet the competition. They're not a stupid bunch, unfortunately, and all the ones I met and chatted with are QUITE accomplished with research in the field. We were split into small groups of 3-4 applicants, then we shuffled from interview to interview in different rooms. Each room had at least two professors, and one or two doctoral students. They took turns asking us questions, to which all of us had to reply. I definitely had a strategy going in, hoping to respond either first or last on the questions I felt I had a good answer to, and piping up somewhere in the middle if I hadn't a clue. primacy effect, and recency effect). See? Some of that psychobabble is actually useful!

The four subject matters that we were grilled on: research, clinical (therapeutic relationships with clients), social justice, and personal. I'm still trying to recover from the experience, and I should be hearing about whether they'll make an offer in a couple weeks. I really enjoyed Boston and am excited about the program, should they decide that they want me. They offer guaranteed tuition remission and a stipend for the first three years!

Back to yarn related activities: Bookish Girl and I met up on Sunday afternoon, and she and her husband were kind enough to schlep me around to a couple yarn stores! I am very impressed with Mr. Bookish's ability to look as if he is enjoying being in the LYS.

in olympic news, I have decided to retire Lady Elenor... she's on the injury inducing list. I have moved on to a new project, which I doubt will get finished, but am proud of the progress I have made so far:


I cast on for this shrug at our Friday night meeting, and knit three skeins in the next three days. Progress has slowed down considerably, now that I don't have hours on a plane or in an airport to motivate me.
aren't the colors OH SO pretty?


Last, I leave you with more sad news. I will NOT be moving to NYC. They (teacher's college and NYU) did not want me. I had to call them to ask what was going on, and was told that I was NOT being invited for an interview. Oooookay. The good news is that I have been invited to Seton Hall for an interview. Having applied to only four schools, I'm pretty happy that I've been invited to two of them for interviews.

17 Comments:

Blogger RainbowSpinner said...

Good luck CynCyn. NYU wasn't good enough anyway!!!!

Love the colours in the shrug.

Jo
And once again thanks for ISE2

2/24/06, 5:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That shrug is lovely!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you regarding interviews - I think living in Boston would be fabulous. :)

2/24/06, 5:45 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Well poo on NYC. GOod luck with the other two though.

And soooper pretty shrug!

2/24/06, 6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you with the psychology terms. Stupid NYU. Stupid teachers' college.
The shrug looks great. Don't hurt yourself on this one!

2/24/06, 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting news about Seton and Boston going so well. It is the loss of the other schools, they are missing out.

I love the shrug, you are making great progress. I just started my 3rd ball.

2/24/06, 9:15 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

well i'm sure your interview went great! you're not all that stupid either! just hang in there k? and you'll do great on the next round too!

2/24/06, 10:08 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow! you go girl 2 out of 4 so far isn't bad at all :) i love the shrug! colors are beautiful

2/24/06, 11:15 AM  
Blogger Jae said...

Wow - to have to compete directly with the other candidates - the pressure! I'm sure you did great, though. And if NYU doesn't want you - well their loss.

I love the shrug. The colors look really cool.

2/24/06, 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey two interviews is pretty good, that's over 50%. those kitties are precious, and so is the shrug, love the colors.

2/24/06, 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shrug looks awesome. I can't wait to see it in person. I can't imagine having to interview with other people. It's hard enough alone. I'm sure you did great.

2/24/06, 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love those colors. I had a 2 out of 4 response from grad schools, too. Let's hope Boston knows what's good for it (although we'll miss you in Denver!).

2/24/06, 3:12 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, big news! Sounds like you had fun in Boston, though we're all secretly and selfishly hoping you'll be stuck here for the rest of your life. :) So ... the shrug ... what is it in ?? So cute. Sorry I missed your im today ... how are your hands, I've been meaning to ask?

2/24/06, 4:41 PM  
Blogger celia said...

how is the wrist going?
good luck, hope you get a position you want.

2/24/06, 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Eleanor. Perhaps she will rise again at a later date.

Good luck with the interviews!
Knit on!

2/25/06, 4:46 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

bummer about NYC, but boston sounds promising! your elenor is simply gorgeous... i hope you do pick it up occassionally and get it done here and there, simply too pretty not to!

2/26/06, 10:56 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I want to see some socks on the needles soon :) Just passing through on Stashalong patrol--have a great week!

2/26/06, 3:43 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog ... and good luck for grad school in Boston. It's a wonderful city, and if you're going to do something as tough as a Ph.D., then you ought at least to be in a great place!

Keep in contact - you're welcome to any of our SnB groups when you're in Royal Oak! And it's about 90 minutes from there to Threadbear and Lansing.

3/1/06, 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home