"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The internets made me do it.

that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Those of you who have spent time with me, or have seen me at least on three different occasions, may have noticed that I am a bag ho. I love me my pocketbooks, handbags, totes, school bags, and knitting bags. What's so absolutely fabulous for me, is that in making myself a professional student, I have managed to give myself a rational excuse for why I continue to need more and more bags.

Here's a review of my latest (I would say it was impulsive, but it was rather well researched) catch.

Here's the front of Penelope



Side views. I love the pocket with the webbing. Stuff is very secure in there (good for a water bottle, or maybe a skein of yarn if you're KIPing?). Not sure if you can make out the contrast stitches, but I love it. The other pocket, I'm not in love with... yet. I'm not sure what's supposed to go in there, but it feels like it would fall out fairly easily. Also, and perhaps the biggest negative of the bag, is if you look at the top, you can see that the bag does not completely close... the zipper at the top does NOT incorporate the sides of the bag, which means if it gets turned upside down, the keys might fall out (if you had put them in here... not sure why you would, but just in case). Oh! Another terrific feature, while I'm mentioning keys, is that tiny zippered pocket on the back. Perfect for your car/house keys. It would also be a good spot to keep money for the subway, or change for the meter.



This close up shows the front pocket. You've got two larger pockets for your cell phone and iPod, or PDA. Three pen loops, some space to hold your wallet (and I've got a largish sized wallet)... and another inside zip pocket.



the inside. Where you see my copy of LMKG, is where my laptop will go when I'm using this as a school bag. I like that this pocket is sewn in, and padded... so I don't have to use my laptop sleeve. The main pocket is rather large, would fit a textbook and a regulation sized binder, and then there's a large inside zip. There are so many pockets, I just don't know what I would do with them all!

The best part of this bag? The name. The Go Girl Messenger bag. Seeing as I feel like i'm always on the go... and it's not too expensive (about a third of what I would've spent on a Timbuk2 bag, after all the bells and whistles).

Here's what I've been knitting on, furiously, when I get any chance to knit. I'm ignoring some projects that have deadlines, (but the recipients don't know I'm knitting for them), b/c I am in love with this yarn.


It's the premier color collection by Lonesome Stone, handpainted yummy 100% alpaca yarn, fingering/sock weight (7 sts/inch on US2s) and 665 yards per skein. Purchased... where else? Colorful Yarns. Most obviously, a clapotis in the making. To make up for the fineness of the yarn, i added a repeate to section 2, and I'm making it longer than prescribed. The alpaca part should make this sucker plenty warm. Hard to gauge right now, b/c there's usually a cat in the lap while I'm knitting.

Two more weeks, and I'll have finished my first semester as a doctoral student. It's gonna be a very l o n g two weeks for me.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

the. bag. is. ADORABLE.

12/2/06, 11:48 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

You're right, you are such a bag ho! :-) Too funy. Great bag though. Good luck with the next 2 weeks.

12/3/06, 3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why didn't you get it be-dazzled?! ;)

12/3/06, 9:57 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am TWITCHING for a new bag... Maybe the Namaste Everyday Bag... Lovely yarn on the Clapotis. And hang in there - just two more weeks? You can so survive that.

12/3/06, 2:18 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your bag addiction is rivaling your yarn addiction ;) That is a great bag though.

Good luck with the next two weeks--it will be over before you know it :)

12/3/06, 3:30 PM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

whats up hun... I was wonderig if I cold coun tyou in for some goodies for my bike ride or not...

just trying to start a head count.

and if you could mention it to a few people...*wink*

12/3/06, 4:14 PM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

whats up hun... I was wonderig if I cold coun tyou in for some goodies for my bike ride or not...

just trying to start a head count.

and if you could mention it to a few people...*wink*

12/3/06, 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we can all sympathise with bag ho-dom. Nice bag! Perfect for a student.

12/4/06, 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great bag. I'm always looking for a new bag to carry around my stuff in, I've got to quit though, I just have way to many!

12/4/06, 9:38 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

ooh i like that bag. i'm a bag ho too constantly looking for the perfect bag, which i've yet to find. part of the problem is that i have to lug so much stuff to work.

12/4/06, 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, Cyn, I just bought a new purse Saturday, but now I think I need another new one.

Pretty clapotis-to-be you're knitting.

12/4/06, 12:47 PM  
Blogger maniacalmultitasker said...

Ooooo I've been looking for a laptop bag! Is the canvas construction strong enough for a 5lb laptop?

12/4/06, 8:30 PM  
Blogger maniacalmultitasker said...

you're an enabler!
I think I'm going to get the Avion at Penelope's.

12/4/06, 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You are hauling on that Clapotis. Such a pretty colorway though. Can't say I blame you.
Almost done with your first semester. How great is that!
Love the new bag. Evil girl. Now I have to go look at the site. ;)

12/5/06, 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home