"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The opposite of knitting

It has been a busy few days, and I didn't even notice that I didn't do my weekly post about not knitting. :) But I have been doing some knitting. I finally finished up the Matthew Shepard Seaman Scarf that I knit for the International Scarf Exchange 3. I went and got a few extra goodies to pack into the box that should be able to ship off tomorrow.

I got a rush from finishing the scarf, so I moved on... and in all good conscious, I could NOT start another project... not when I've got

1) Irish Hiking Scarf (using the Berroco Ultra Alpaca that Stacey sent me)

2) This pattern from Garnstudio, with some of my Brooks Farm Yarn stash.

3) Spork. Which is a thorn in my side.

4) Madli
5) Mystery Lace Stole
6) Reid, from Knitty
7 & 8) 2 pairs of socks (one in Opal, one in Hill Country Yarns)
9) Clapotis, redux
10) hooded cardi (from Big Girl knits... with the 2 colors? whazzit called?) using Rowan Calmer

I know i have more projects going, but i've already started to develop a rash by listing them all...

11) Robin Hood Jacket from Adorable Knits for Tots by Zoe Mellor... is what I picked up.

I'm using the DB merino chunky that I had bought waaaaay back in the day. It's a great olive-y green color, which will look smashing on Preggo's oldest son (the red headed monster that's been featured here a few times). I feel guilty that I've knit his baby brother quite a few items, but that he doesn't have any hand knit love from his CynCyn.

Here's where I explain how I've done the opposite of knitting. I finished the back section, cast on for left front, finished, and the right front. I want to get the hood done too, and was dreaming that I could get this thing done by Thanksgiving. Since you are supposed to block BEFORE you seam, I decided to block last night... and the thing is gigantic! what's supposed to be 15 inches long, is 20. What's supposed to be 14 inches across, is 15. I guess I could've kept going and just given it to Michelle, but dang.
Fortunately, I can pull it longer, which makes it narrower... So, tonight?

RIPPIT. Just far enough back to get the right length. I'd have a lot more FOs if I could get stuff done the first time around. The other thought (from Celia) is that I used too big a needle... hence the huge blooming. Maybe the whole thing gets ripped (which makes me SO sad, b/c I already wove in ends, dammit!)

I'll post pics of everything once they've dried. Have a great week everyone!

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

Thanks for the link to the Drops pattern.. now I have another thing on my list of things to knit. Grrrr...

11/13/06, 1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it right the first time? Wouldn't that be wonderful.

It sounds adorable.

11/13/06, 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to take your idea and do the same thing on my blog, list all my current WIP. But alas, then I might actually have to work on them. :-)

11/13/06, 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too funny. I hate re-knitting but I'm sure it'll be worth it just to see how excited the little dude is to get it.

11/13/06, 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, no. Do you have to rip? Is it something he can grow into? (Because I can't visualize what's going on...)

Spork is definitely thorn in your side. It comes up every time you do one of these lists! I think you should give it up; it hasn't been good enough to you. :-)

11/13/06, 12:03 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

Sounds like you will be busy for a while!! Don't worry we all have to frog stuff once in a while!
Denise
www.knitchat.com

11/13/06, 12:16 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

daaammmn...you have a mighty to-do list there, girl friend. i love the garn studio sweater - beautious.

11/13/06, 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, the Robin Hood pattern is adorable! Sorry about the gauge issues, though...

11/14/06, 10:18 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Argh. Well, at least it's salvageable, right???!

11/15/06, 8:20 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

It cracks me up that you have so many projects on the needles. Sorry to hear about your Robin Hood jacket, but you know that he will love it and it's better to have it right, although I'm sure Michelle might like it.

11/15/06, 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading yur post I feel like I've found my knitting twin! I was realyy relating to your desire to cast on a new project, and then your willpower not to. As I sit in my chair with two unfinished projects right@ my side another one in a basket behind a chair-haven't touched that bag in months. There's a scarf cst on a few days ago with a couple inches done @ the foot of my bed...and then we can go into my office where there are at least ten projects started. Uggghh...but hey-there's a project for evey mood. As I got to the bottom of your post I knew we were on the same team! I have ripped back so much. I have to learn to slow down and read the pattern a second time. Luckily I don't mind ripping, but I do mind the fact that the time could be spent knitting something else!! Gotta go finish binding off my husbands' Toe Up socks for the fourth time tonight! Just can't get the right bind off...

11/18/06, 10:51 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

I love that you have even more projects started than I do. Looking forward to photos.

11/19/06, 8:23 AM  
Blogger Happymomma2448 said...

Hello,

I am trying to knit the Robin Hood jacket, did you find any errors in the pattern??

Thanks
Krista

please email me - kcn1969(at)quickclic(dot)net

11/30/06, 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home