"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Please, Please Mister Postman




Everyone's curious about what was in that airmail for me!!



Celia sent me a thank you gift! When I went to WEBS a couple weeks ago, I had all good intention of only buying yarn for Celia... she wants to make her bun in the oven a Lizard Ridge baby blanky out of Silk Garden. Unfortunately, I was unable to control myself, and got myself quite a bit o yarn. Anyway, she picked out this lovely Online Cashmerino (14% cashmere, 56% superwash merino, 30% microfiber) and sent me a skein of handpainted sock yarn (in her jungle colorway). I can't wait to knit something up with this OH SO SOFT yarn, in such a rich beautiful red color. Any suggestions for patterns? I have enough for a shell or tank. Let's please not mention the fact that those Tim Tam's have already been broken into... and no one can see how many have already been consumed (inhaled...). Now I know what the fuss is all about!!!

With the yarn that Ms Sheepiness sent me a few weeks ago, I started the Irish Hiking Scarf. After working on the Matthew Shepard Seaman scarf with the Rowan Wool/Cotton on US3s... the Irish Hiking Scarf feels like it's going miraculously fast. I knit on it a bit last night and I've already got over 4-5 inches knit up.

My brain has gone numb, which means it has stopped hurting. My eye twitch has gone away.... Sounds like things are improving, no? I think my body has re-acclimated it's basal level of stress, so that I feel less... overwhelmed. I take pleasure in the very small things in life now... like being able to knit 4-5 rows between classes on Thursday. And, having a few of my classmates compliment my Noro Shrug (the one I made out of the Paintbox). I love having knitters compliment it (b/c they know how much work went into knitting it) and having a non-knitter compliment it makes me feel like they can't tell it's handmade. Why is that important to me?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

That's so sweet. I still need to visit the infamous WEBS. Until then, online shopping is still good. Do they offer the online discount in the store?

10/7/06, 8:36 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm glad you are getting into the groove of things with you classes; you must be settling in.

Its great that non-knitters have complimented you shrug; it turned out great. It would give me more confidence in my finishing ability if someone who doesn't knit compliments something I made--I think that's 90% of the battle.

Have a great weekend!

Very nice gifties too!

10/7/06, 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WEBS online is bad enough. Can never visit in person! Well, not yet anyway.

Handmade seems to be synonomous with badly made Out There, so it's a compliment from non knitters. Is that it?

10/7/06, 2:35 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Love the goodies! that red is so vibrant. and the jungle colorway is muy yummy!

10/7/06, 8:50 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I definitely think that you had to get readjusted to the whole level of stress now that you're taking classes again. I'm sure that was rough. I saw Celia's Lizard Ridge blankie in progres and it's super-cute. I love that red of the Cashmerino, which I'm sure is no surprise! Maybe you could do the Ballet tank from MagKnits, Sizzle, and there's a new pattern not out yet, http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2006/09/scarlet_woman_reveal.html (Scarlet Woman)that may work for it. Depending on the gauge and the amount of yarn you have, the Krista tee from White Lies Design may work as well.

I love that you were going to Webs and only buying yarn for Celia, yea right! Look out Rhinebeck! I still say you have more in your stash than mine! ;-)

10/9/06, 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I don't know why it's important, but it is. The recognition that comes when someone compliments a garment, or my personal favorite when someone won't believe you've knitted something because it looks too professional, is unbelievable. It may not be why we knit, but it sure doesn't hurt.

10/9/06, 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are smoothing out for you. I love having my knits complemented by non-knitters too.
There was a guy getting off the elevator the other day wearing what was clearly a hand knit sweater. The yarn used was too thin so it ended up all stretched out and distorted, the finishing looked really bad, and it looked like it was made from acrylic. This is what I associate with the word "handknit" (stupid mind) so when people don't know mine is, it makes me feel better too.

10/9/06, 11:50 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great gift package! I'm glad to hear you're getting settled in. I know what you mean about the compliments of non-knitters, who always seem surprised that something handmade doesn't look like crap.

10/11/06, 6:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmmmm Tim Tams :)

10/12/06, 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home