"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Goodbye and Goodluck

Jeni organized a goodbye dinner for me, which we had today at Pappadeaux's Seafood Kitchen. Nachaele, Kristina, Jeni, Michelle, her soon to be DH, Tiffany, Stacey, her mom Marsha, and sister Whitney (and baby Liam!), Michaele, Wanda and Kim all came to say goodbye. I feel so loved, so fortunate, and so privileged to have met, and befriended all of these wonderful folks.

I put most of my friends into certain categories.. I have my work friends, my school friends, college friends, party friends, and my knitting friends. What has been so amazing to me, is that even though I may always refer to these folks as my knitting friends, they've become so much more. While I have learned an inordinate amount of knitterly skills, techniques, and information from them, I have also learned much about life, people, and myself.

Even though I felt lucky enough that we could organize an event where so many people could/wanted to come, I was also showered with gifts! Literally, almost drowning in gifts. We remember that Tiffany got me all this stuff, which I'm still reeling over.

Michelle and her DH got me...



The project bag, hand made by Michelle, with her DH helping to finish. The wonderful smelling SOAK, some purple sock yarn she got from Etsy, and the RYC Classic Beach book!!! I wish I had taken a pic of the fabric on the inside too.



Marsha (Stacey's mom gave me this awesome ditty bag from Vera Bradely. I can't wait to cast on for a project that goes into that beautiful bag.



Since great minds think alike (and, i'm kinda predictable), Nachaele and Kristina got me a Vera Bradley as well! in the same colorway. I LOVE IT. Plus, two skeins of the Lorna's Laces shepard sock in Lakeview.

Wanda and Jeni got me a gift certificate to PB, which I can't wait to use. I'm hoping some of these in chocolate brown will help fade out the bathroom issues.


Here we've got my pressies from Stacey. The address book has already been put to use, as she suggested I pass it around the table to get everyone's address (she's so smart, that one!). I'm not sure when she snuck off to buy that skein of Koigu, but it wasn't in her stash last time I checked. The Dutch Blitz game is one she introduced me to... which I love, b/c it's competitive, it's fast, and it's fun.

Kim got me a gift card to Barnes and Noble, which will probably get used the day I get there. Since I don't know very many people (just one very friendly knitter and her husband), I think I'll have plenty of time to read, which I used to do a lot more pre-knitting days.

The funniest gift?

From Whitney, Drew, and their wee ones. Can you see what it says on the package of tissue? "I've got an ATTITUDE, and I'm not afraid to use it." I can't wait to offer someone a tissue now!!! And a million dollar cookie (ya think someone will take that as my rent payment?)

Michaele may be the sneakiest of the bunch. She left me a hint (which didn't photograph well) of my gift, which she's having shipped to my new address in Boston.

Here's a pic of all of us, except Nachaele, who's taking the picture.


Thanks to each and every one of you. I can't find the words to express how much your friendships mean to me. Though I love the view, the lack of humidity, and the general attitude in Colorado, it's really the thought of leaving all of you that makes leaving Denver so difficult for me.

Boston has some big shoes to fill.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

That's really cool and sweet! I love reading the stories of your knitting friends, they all seem so incredibly great and thoughtful.

8/14/06, 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a really wonderful night!

8/14/06, 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...it was a great get together, wasn't it?! I'm just glad that I get to see you on Wednesday too!! :) No good-byes for me yet!

8/14/06, 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except we can't see YOU in that picture!

You have the nicest friends.

8/14/06, 11:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I'm saying "see you later" instead of "good bye"--you'll only be a plane flight away :)

8/14/06, 11:53 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

we certainly do have big shoes to fill. but i can guarantee that at least we'll be able to compete with the seafood. ;)

8/14/06, 1:06 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Oh, I was so sad to have not made it ... but I've got a little something to send ahead to you as well. :) Let's just say it's called "I hate waiting" ... :) Good luck on your move next weekend if I don't get a chance to say it before then!

8/14/06, 1:18 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

What great friends and such an awesome party.

It looks like Colorado is a great place.

Try knitting on the subway in Boston. There is a blogger (not me) who knits and writes about it. She sounds nice too. Subway Knitter.

8/14/06, 1:20 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

you have some wonderful friends! i know you're really going to miss Denver and the wonderful people you met there! take all that love to Boston with you ;)

8/14/06, 1:37 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

Aww. Further proof that knitters are good people.

8/14/06, 7:41 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

It's sad to leave but it's nice to see the love.

And wow, the presents. NICE.

8/15/06, 12:39 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

We will definitely be sad to see you leave, myself included. I think I've been avoiding your blog lately because I know you're leaving and I probably won't see you for awhile. Good luck on your new life in Boston. I hope you make some knitting friends to help you adjust to Boston.

8/15/06, 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss you my friend. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the dinner, but I'll see you in Boston. Count on it! I'll email you my contact info for your address book.

8/15/06, 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome to the east coast! I think you'll love Boston area knitters, we're plentiful if nothing else!

8/15/06, 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as you hate waiting, I hate goodbyes...have since I was a little girl. We will miss you, but look forward to future visits. Thankfully, we can keep up with your life through your blog!!

8/15/06, 7:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What wonderful friends! My saddest thing is that I will be coming through Colorado after you are in Boston... My happiest thing? I have someone else to visit in Boston now! :) Safe travels.

8/15/06, 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shucks. You're making me tear up. ;)
I really am going to miss you. I don't think it's really sunk in that you're leaving. I'm sure it'll hit me right after you leave. *sniff*

8/15/06, 7:45 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

what a wonderful night! in a wonderfully sad kinda way

is there anything better than good friends?

8/17/06, 8:34 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

good luck in boston cyn cyn....your going to have a great time! i'll def. swing by if i'm ever in the neighborhood!

8/18/06, 7:23 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/18/06, 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you! The shop just isn't the same on Friday's now! Hope the trip is going well. Let us know about your schedule once you get settled.

8/21/06, 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home