"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lazin' A Long

With my summer. Seriously folks, I'm just too lazy to upload/download pictures this week. I do have some funny stories and tidbits to share.

* knitting content ends at the line of these **********

First off, please note that I have contracted another severe and acute case of knitterstartitis, a condition often confused with knitterly ADHD. I am unsure about the treatments for either problem, but would love to hear any ideas/thoughts about different treatments and their rates of effectiveness. My initial round of treatment included allowing myself to blithely cast on for whichever and whatever project caught my fancy. The effectiveness? Er... I haven't crunched numbers, but I think it's not good. Not good at all. Prognosis grim. I don't think I finished more than 50% of the projects I've cast on for...

examples include (but are not limited to):
1) Spork: need to finish the reinforcing strip. HOW freaking hard can it be to do stockinette, 20 sts wide, for 5 feet?

2) Soleil & Gatsby Tank: these two are in time out until I lose all the weight I've gained due to a) knitting, and b) the last year of hell in finishing my master's degree.

3) Rogue.

4) winter weight clapotis. (does it count when I've completely frogged the sucker?)

5) denim purse (kit from Black Water Abbey)

6) Fair Isle Jazz- scarf style

7) DB alpaca silk scarf for NYC friend.

I'm scared to keep thinking.

So... since I'm not aware of what other treatment options are available to me, I went ahead and joined the Mystery Stole 2. Last year's project was stunning, and I thought since it's almost kinda kinda sorta a competition, it would be right up my alley. I think you have until July 14th to join, though the first 'clue' will be given on July 7th. Click on the link above, or on the button on the left (under 'join me') to join the group. You know you want to.

************************************************************

Amusing stories from my Boston trip.
I'm a single 30 yr old woman. I'm content with my life, happy with the people I've chosen to surround myself with, and excited about my future. Of course, there are people out there wondering when and if I'm ever going to get married. As I've shared with quite a few friends, I do want to share my life with someone. My reasons for wanting to be married... do not include wanting to have children or sharing a household. My most compellinging reason to get married is that I want/need someone to help me when my furbabies kick the bucket. The second reason? So that I can have a dog. I don't think either of these reasons are strong enough to actually get married... The third reason, the most abstract one, is probably the most sane reason. I would like to share my twilight years on the front porch with someone. Someone to watch sunsets with, read/share the newspaper, etc etc.

That reason was SOUNDLY crapped all over while I was in Boston with my parents. The first morning, we all got up and got ready for a day full of apartment searching. Of course, we needed a good breakfast. My parents decided we would eat at the hotel's restaurant. No, we were not staying at some 4 star hotel. We were at Holiday Inn Express. My dad was disappointed with the fruit selection, which consisted of honey dew, canteloupe, and pineapple. He exclaimed that the fruit juice was sour. He spit up not just one, but TWO mouthfuls of fruit back onto his plate when he felt like they weren't ripe. Since that display of table manners was followed by a conversation about bowel movements, I quickly lost my appetite. Is that what being married in your 60s looks like? Sounds like? Why? I suppose there's something sweet about feeling so comfortable with your spouse that you can sit there and have a 10 minute conversation about your daily B.M.s. I have to stop that train when my mother turns to me and starts asking me about MY movements... which I feel have not been her bidness since I became potty trained at 3 yrs old. EUW EUW EUW.

The second 'amusing to everyone else but me' story I'll share from Boston... If you've ever rented any property in Colorado, and you have pets, you're familiar with pet deposit and pet rent. I think a pet deposit is pretty standard in most places, but I hadn't ever heard of pet RENT. Neither of my cats earn an income, so I'm unclear how come they need to pay rent. Anyway, it's not that uncommon out here in CO for apartment complexes to have these addendums to their standard leases. When I met with the first realtor out there in Boston (and I think in Boston, a 'realtor' is more like a property manager), I told him my minimum requirements. Pet friendly. Close to school. Parking available. Laundry on site. minimum of 600 sq feet.
The kid asks me... "pet friendly? dog or cat?"
me: "I have a cat"
my dad: "she has TWO!"
me (to my mom, in chinese): "WHY is Dad such a freaking idiot? WHY would he feel compelled to share that?"

I was about ready to shoot my Dad on site. I suppose since there is no pet rent in Boston, it's all water under the bridge, but all I can think is... "bung dow mung"
which is a Chinese saying my mom used to say to me when I was 'helping' her do whatever. Which meant, while I thought I was helping her, I was really just making more work for her. That's my dad. he thinks he's helping me, and he's just making everything 10 times harder for me.

Don't get the wrong idea. My innate pessimism worked out for me. I really didn't think I would survive the trip to Boston with my parents. 5 days. Just the three of us. In the same hotel room? AUGH. I made it so horrible in my mind, that the reality wasn't that bad. I know my parents love me, want what's best for me, and want to help me achieve my dreams. But still.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

parent are so FUN!

I can't wait for you to get here. Let me know what the move date is. I'd like to organize a welcome to Boston Knit Night for you!

7/6/06, 7:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love it when you write about the folks... it really makes me think of a sitcom! yep, he is just trying to help... and if you ever wanted to have children you would be just as annoying to them ;) Although my parents are laid-back and super supportive at the same time... is that possible? They talk about poop, and so do I! I have small children... So Yep getting old and having kids is all about the BM's...he he he!!!!
I like your firm decsion to stay single and childless, you know yourself better than anyone....

7/6/06, 8:04 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Wow, that's a lot of projects. You have to finish Spork b4 you leave! Rogue, eh. Clapotis, if you're not interested in it, don't bother. Soleil and Gatsby can wait. The fair isle jazz, do you think you will finish it once winter comes around again? That's when I plan on picking mine back up. Do you care to finish the denim purse? And you will finish the alpaca silk scarf for your NYC friend. Did you forget to mention the HCY sock or the Garnstudio sweater you're working on out of BFY? Heh-heh-heh! ;-)
Your parents are funny, esp. your Dad being ever so "helpful".

7/6/06, 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it went better than you though. I guess eternal pessimism has it's upside. :D
Startitis... sorry I don't think I can help you there. Suggestion for spork though. Bring the yarn to knit night and practice knitting backwards. At least it offers some mild interest...

7/6/06, 10:48 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Parents are so fun. And helpful! I forgot about helpful.

Believe me, the health conversations will only get worse. I'd explain, but I've been trying to put it out of my head. And the twilight-on-the-porch bit? I'm convinced is a myth in the misery-loves-company vein.

The only possible cure for startitis is to keep doing it. Isn't that a homeopathic way? It feels so....so organic.

7/6/06, 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family does this too, and I don't really understand when we went from the family that didn't talk about anything ickish to everything ickish. It seems the last few years have been exceptionally worse!!

7/6/06, 3:28 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

When my dad retired all he talked about was stories of death and the obituary articles. He would sit at the dinner table and go on and on about different ways people can die. Parents are a trip.

7/6/06, 3:35 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

yep, I feel your pain...one morning I was walking through walmart with my mom...she didn't have anything to eat for breakfast, but had a case of the "gotta gos". She leaned over to me and said, "Now, tell me why I have to do number 2 when I haven't even eaten yet?"

EUW.

7/7/06, 12:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I won't even count my WIPs. There are some that I've hidden from myself.

I always enjoy your parental posts - the peek into the madness that is other families. :) My dad and his wife are in their 60s and I've never heard a BM story at the table, if that helps. In fact, they're traveling in the UK right now - the last phone call I got was from Aberdeen, Scotland, as they prepared to go to the Orkney Islands. So add traveling companion to your list. :)

7/7/06, 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that married life in my 60s is better than that! Although I think by that time you are willing to let sooo many things slide. I heard you're moving to Boston. My family lives in New Hampshire and if it wasn't for the cost to live there, I'd probably move to Boston as well. If you ever get a free weekend, go up into the lakes region of NH- it's beautiful and ultra relaxing.

I too am suffering from knitting ADD- I'm sick of knitting the Green Gables I'm working on, but I'm not sure what would make me happy right now.

7/12/06, 9:11 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

i havent heard of married people actually "talking" to eachother after being married to eachother for more then a few months (let alone 30 or 40 years)....so the fact that this whole B.M. conversation took place is a bit shocking. I say, stick to your original plan of finding someone for the purpose of having a dog, and make sure you have a good mix on your iPod when it comes to the rocking chair on a porch time in your life so you have something else to listen to other then your hubby's count by count play back of his daily bowel movements.

7/13/06, 2:50 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

*snort*

that's what i did when i read about your parents. my mother would have told the realtor that i had two cats and then would have gone on and on about how i'd never get married if i insist on having two cats. etc. (i showed her. heh heh. got married AND HAD 3 CATS!)

anyway. where did you end up getting an apartment?

looking forward to meeting you when you finally get here. 'cause we will meet.

7/18/06, 5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home