"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Simply Irresistable: Estes Festival

Completely Satiated. For now. Hopefully for a LONG while. The rest of the week was spent hanging out with Preggo and her family. She's about ready to pop, but will likely be late (like her first). On Friday, I spent the day at the store, during which I noticed I was quite anxious. I was getting excited for the ESTES Wool Festival, which is happening this weekend. Thursday and Friday, classes/workshops were held... and today and tomorrow, the open wool market with vendors galore.

Michelle hosted us over at her house the night before, including Jeni, Zenifer, Lesley, Nachaele, Stacey, and Wanda spent the night knitting, gabbing, and chattering excitedly about our plans for the next day. What did everyone want to buy? Did we have specific patterns in mind to buy for? We strategized and came up with a plan for attack. Which had two simple parts.

EDIT: Amy (formerly of Knit it Yourself fame) joined us for most of the evening as well. It's SO unfortunate for the knit blogging community that she no longer blogs (hint hint) b/c she is one of the most knowledgeable and talented knitters I've ever met. Even though I rationally understand why she is on hiatus, I miss hearing and seeing her amazing projects.

1) Get to Brooks Farm Yarn as fast as we can. Buy whatever we can get our grubby little hands on.

2) Explore and purchase other yarn available at Estes at our leisure.

Jenifer showed us the beautiful and stunning results of her recent obsession with dying yarn. She's been exploring with sock, lace, and worsted weight yarns. I have pics of a few colorways, but those might have to wait. I need to show you all the evidence of my recent gluttony before I chicken out.



Starting from the upper right, we have some BFY limited edition superwash blend. Starting with the upper left corner, we see my 2 skeins of lace weight yarn, from Skaska. Both skeins are 100g, with 1315 yards each.
In the lower left corner, I've got more BFY yarn, Primero, in a beautiful green and blue colorway. Last, in the lower right hand corner, enough Plain & Fancy Sheep and Wool sport weight yarn to make a nice sweater.

Yarn details
Brooks Farm Yarn Limted Edition
Superwash
Wool/Silk/Viscose Blend (60/20/20)
4 oz, 420 yds per skein

Skaska Lace weight
Superlamb
100% wool (i think)
100g, 1315 yds

BFY Primero
100% kid mohair
8 oz, 500 yds

Plain & Fancy Sheep and Wool
variegated (blue, green, cranberry colors)
sport weight
400 yards, 4 1/2 oz skeins

As if that's not enough to feel guilty about, I had also just purchased some of this beautiful yarn, which feels like butter when you knit with it.



Malabrigo worsted weight yarn, in colorways Azul Profundo, Violetas, and Lime Blue (starting at upper left, going clockwise). We won't even get into how much of this yarn I purchased. I will rationalize my apparent lack of anything related to restraint by saying that the yarn was a steal (cheaper than Brown Sheep or Cascade 220!)

This picture seems to say it best

14 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

So how long will it take before you buy some more ;) You got some great stuff today. I got that merino/tancel laceweight(3100 yards) and that's it.

6/17/06, 9:56 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

That isn't that bad- I'm sure there were others that were worse, right?

6/17/06, 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should hold you over for the week!! *L* Good shopping, Cynthia.

6/18/06, 4:20 AM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

Sounds like a great time. Love the last pic, so cute.

6/18/06, 7:56 AM  
Blogger Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

It was my first year at Estes, and I loved it! My haul is mostly in unspun fiber, though. :D

I wanted to take sheep home with me! I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one!

6/18/06, 9:44 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

*drool*

That last picture is great! I think it wanted to come home with you, too.

6/18/06, 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sheep picture turned out awesome. Can't wait to see some of the brooks farm knit up. Mine ended up in the bowl with the stuff from last year. For now... Just wait until I finish river. I have a few ideas for that lovely stuff.

6/18/06, 2:15 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That picture makes him look a little anxious you might leave without him.

Oh my. I coudn't resist those yarns at those prices either. Plus, you have to shop for us who couldn't make it this year.

6/18/06, 4:58 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Oh my! What lovely stash enhancement!

Oh, and nice picture of the sheep (a ram?) Did you get to pat it?

6/18/06, 5:30 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

auh! i am very jealous! wow:) all the yarn is so beautiful, guess you are gearing up for a cold winter!

6/19/06, 6:20 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

Absolutely gorgeous yarn! I'm really intrigued by the Malbrigo (knits like butter but cheaper than Brown Sheep and Cascade 220!?) Looks like everyone had a great time. The weather was divine!

6/20/06, 6:54 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Hey Cynthia -- it was great seeing you last weekend!

6/20/06, 8:50 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Oh, such lovely stuff. I love the last pic of the sheep, very cute! I have no buyer's remorse either! :-)

6/20/06, 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me blush! I loved knitting with you all the other night-- it's just so inspiring to me to see what you all are knitting and buying... sigh. Love the gorgeous acquisitions. :)

6/23/06, 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home