"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Teddy Bear Teddy Bear, Turn Around

I have finally finished the teddy bear all in one from Debbie Bliss (baby cashmerino book). I substituted yarn (instead of baby cash, i used Rowan 4 ply soft, 4 balls) and used tahki cotton classic for the contrast color. Who knew it would be so hard to find chocolate brown yarn in the DB baby cash or rowan 4 ply soft?



Pattern: Teddy Bear All in One pattern from Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino book
Size: 3-6 months
Needles: Addi turbo circulars, size 3 and 4
Yarn: Rowan 4 ply soft (4 balls) and Tahki Cotton Classic
Cast on/Cast off: April 8thish - May 14th.


pattern changes: ears: used 16 sts with MC instead of 14, and knit 8 rows instead of 6 before decreasing. used 12 sts instead of 14 with CC (cotton classic). picked up about 62 sts for button band instead of 72 (i used the magic formula from Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques).

i haven't woven in the ends for the ears yet b/c I wanted to get your opinion on the ear placement. do you think they should be more forward? down or up more? the pattern is woefully vague. The whole thing knit up pretty quickly... I was motivated by selfishness (so I could finish and knit for myself) and by guilt (b/c Preggo wants this knit for her baby before I move).

I had a terrific weekend. Friday, I had my last day of internship, which was a little bit sad. How often do you find a place to work that has so many like-minded people? The organization advocates for women, equality, and fights against oppression in all of it's forms. Afterwards, I stopped by Chez Pink for a bit of knit time. Jenifer and AmyB were there too! Jenifer showed me how to do the Norwegian purl, because I was complaining about my uneven tension when I do ribbing (going from knit to purl). Thanks Jenifer!

Saturday: the big graduation day! I didn't walk at my graduation, but sat in the crowd and cheered on my classmates. The faculty of my department awarded me with an outstanding graduate award, which was a bit embarrassing. I'm a little sad about finishing, b/c that means I'm that much closer to moving and leaving all my friends.
I stopped by Colorful Yarns for a bit, then headed over to a friend's house for a graudation party.

Next up: Cast on for... Tivoli T b/c Michelle can't be the only one to have it, or maybe Donna. Or may I can finish Spork. Sigh.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award! You totally should've processed in celebration.
Oh, wait; then people can watch you play with your tassel (ask me how I know...)
I like the ears, personally, but I can't see them very well. Hopefully some other commenters will have something better to say about it!

5/15/06, 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ears look great. I wouldn't move them.
Congrats again on the award.
Don't be too sad about leaving. After you go we get an excuse to head out east to visit. And I'm sure you'll be able to enable from a distance just as well as you do locally. :D

5/15/06, 2:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Congrats!!!

And I think the ears look great - the cuteness is almost too much. :)

5/15/06, 2:38 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

It's so cute! I love it just the way it is and don't think the ears need to be moved at all! Way to go on finishing it up!!
Congrast on the award too, that's so awesome. You didn't even say a word.
I'll be interested to see what you cast on for next.

5/15/06, 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bear turned out fantastic!! The ears are perfect. Congrats on being done with this phase of school.

sushi on Tuesday night? Or any night this week really.

5/15/06, 2:58 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

Way to go!!

And the ears are fine. I wouldn't change a thing.

5/15/06, 5:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

it looks wonderful cyn! why didn't you walk? i guess if you've done it once already it isn't as thrilling huh? i didn't want to walk either ;) congrats on the arward! your go girl!

5/16/06, 6:42 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

ne where they are. thats a cute little onsie! congrats on finishing school and the award! i didn't want to walk but parents (mine and dave's) would have killed me. oh well.

5/16/06, 9:21 AM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

that is one comfy bear!

5/16/06, 11:50 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Congratulations on the award! That is sad about the end of the internship, but at least you had that experience.

The ears look great.

5/16/06, 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your internship and winning the award. I'm proud of you!

As for leaving... don't be surprised if some of us show up in Boston! In the meantime, thank goodness for emails and blogs for staying in touch.

Did you hear that Grey's is moving to Thursdays?

The teddy bear is so cute!

Are you going to Borders on Saturday?

5/16/06, 7:23 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Verrrry cute- sure to be the hit of the shower. I'm glad that you had a nice Saturday- I was a little sad, thinking about you and how much of a non-event that it seemed (although I understand, what with so much more school ahead of you), but I'm glad that you got a bit embarrassed and had fun at the picnic.

Monkey Bean or new Speer coffee place meetup next week?

5/18/06, 2:57 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Nice job there!

5/22/06, 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home