"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Power of Love and Guilt

For me, the emotions of Love and Guilt have always been pretty much interchangable. When I was about 6 years old, one of my best friends, Michelle, lived about 6 houses down the street. SIX HOUSES. Even better, she had an older brother that was MY brother's age, so the four of us spent a lot of time over at each other's houses. As is normal for a 6 yr old girl, I wanted to sleep over (seeing as her parents were more permissive...)

6 yr old me: Ma? can I sleep over Michelle's house?
Mom: No, you can't. You should come home now.
6 yr old me: Why not? It's only 6 houses down the street.
Mom: Do you like it over there more than you like being at home?
6 yr old me: uh, no... but I'm not done playing yet.
Mom: well, if you like being over there more, then maybe you should see if they want to adopt you.
6 yr old me: *Sigh* I'll be home in a minute.

Let's not even get into conversation sleepover #2, in which my mother has THE TALK with me. At 6 yrs old. What? You need me to explain?

6 yr old me: Ma? Can I sleep over Michelle's house? (you know, kids think that parents will change their answer if you ask often enough)
Mom: no, you can't. You should come home now.
6 yr old me: Why not? I'm not done playing yet.
Mom: Because you'll get used to sleeping in strange beds, then when you grow up you'll sleep with strange men.
6 yr old me: No I won't! I promise!

Seriously folks. THAT was my sex talk. I kid you not.

Oh! Back to the point. Love and Guilt. Interchangable. Forever intertwined in my mind and heart. Due to my decision to pursue a PhD, many friends have begun to heap on the guilt, especially my very pregnant friend... (who's red headed kid has been featured here a few times, and the chocolate lab... that's her doggy). My friend, Preggo*, is about 6.5 months pregnant, and both of her closest friends are moving to the east coast. We're throwing her a baby shower, and she told me the only reason she wants to have a second shower is so that I'll knit her baby something. CRAP.

Now on the needles:
teddy bear all in one: pattern from Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Robin Hood Jacket: Adorable Knits for Tots by Zoe Mellor (for Preggo's eldest)

To be cast on sometime soon:
Rowan denim drawstring pants : LMKG (aka Oh Shit Knits)
cute ass baby booties (from some book that Stacey owns
and at least one pullover sweater

Preggo started making googlie eyes at the baby afghan in the Zoe Mellor book, at which point I snapped it shut and said I had to jet. Unlike Michaele, I am NOT related to this baby by blood, and (most importantly) I am not selfless enough to give up my selfish knitting for an entire year (at least, it seemd like she didn't knit anything for herself for over a year!)

While the Robin Hood jacket is knit out of love and guilt for RHM (Red Headed Monster)... because I know he'll miss me. The other projects are being knit out of guilt and love... for Preggo. Baby #2 (also a boy) will be born in late June, and I'll have precious little time to bond with him before I pack it up and move out of state. My knitted clothing will be my way of wrapping baby #2 in some love, and Robin Hood Jacket will help RHM remember how much I love him.

here's a pic of the teddy bear all in one, so far:



and, in my only selfish knitting lately, my toe up sock, in Trekking XXL






on the left, we have the pattern I chose out of Knitting on the Road (Nancy Bush) - Denmark on the cuff. The middle picture shows my first attempt at a short row heel, and the pic on the right shows the back of the sock and heel. I'm pretty darn proud of myself, and completely in love with toe up socks. No worries about whether I have enough yarn, and! (the best part) is that I can bind off whenever I get tired of knitting on the sock, so long as I've knit the toe and the heel.


*Names changed to protect the guilty

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks. Perfect heel.
Love=guilt sounds like no fun at all.
But it is pretty funny that sleeping in strange beds leads to sleeping with strange men. Well, it seems that way to someone who was never told that. :-)

4/20/06, 11:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yowza, what an odd conversation to have with a 6-year old!

Fight the guilt! That's just wrong, wrong, wrong and seems more than a leeetle manipulative, doesn't it?!

Heh, you're going to knit more for that kid than I will be for me as yet unborn neice or nephew. :)

Love the Trekking XXL socks!

4/20/06, 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This glimpse at the 6yr old conversation explains alot... The baby gift looks like it's coming along pretty quick. I can't believe how much ease there is in there. He can grow into it right?
The sock looks great!

4/20/06, 4:13 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Hey, if you're going to feel guilty for something, it may as well be for something you actually want to do!

Nice socks, btw - I've just discovered toe up socks too.. I love them!

4/20/06, 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sock, the heel looks great.

My family sounds somewhat like yours, only I never had the sex talk at all, still waiting.

4/20/06, 5:16 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

lookin' good! love the colors of that trekking... i said that alrady right? You make me laugh everytime you write about your parents....
My first sex talk was in the grocery store, and my mom insisted that it felt really really good... but you have to wait for the right person. ummm?okay? I did apperciate her honesty and openess in any conversation..but that made me feel uncomfortable back then ;)

4/21/06, 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't sacrifice personal knitting out of a sense of guilt! (it was more like self-imposed insanity) Whatever you do, don't get pressured into making 32 different things for your friend's baby! ;)

4/22/06, 10:31 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Your sock looks great! I love the color.

Same here. I never got to sleep over anyone's house. Even at my best friend's house and she was Chinese and my parents were good friends with her parents. Sheesh!

Then one year in elementary school, I got invited for a birthday sleep over party and my parents freaked when I asked to go. A stranger's house! No, no, no.

4/26/06, 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home