"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sneaking and peeking

It was my first real weekend of freedom, with the light at the end of the tunnel making an appearance. I finish my master's program this coming Friday, and my graduation ceremony is on Saturday. So, instead of celebrating my accomplishments, what have I been thinking about?

How much weight I've gained. in corpora, and in stash-o. In the body? at least 20 lbs over the last 2 yrs, and in the stashes? i don't want to even hazard a guess. Two years ago, I had no yarn stash (well, maybe 2-3 skeins of red heart to make baby blankets). Now? I've got lots of beautiful yarn. Book stash has grown, not so much for leisure reading, but my knitting library used to be non-existent, and now? while not as nearly thorough as the libraries kept by some of the people with whom I knit, it's pretty hefty. I'm still trying to live in DE NIAL, so let's move onto something more fun.

I'm on an FO kick. I'm about done with the teddy bear all in one, which I'll take a pic of as soon as I attach the sleeves. I finally found some chocolate brown yarn to use as contrast color for the ears... and am living on a prayer that I have enough of the main color to finish the sleeves and knit the ears. Pics to come sometime this week (b/c i'm sure it'll be done by then).

FO reports!
Socks
patterns: From Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road: Conwy and Denmark
Yarn: Trekking XXL #108
needles: US 2
Method: magic loop on both. one was knit toe up (Denmark), one was knit cuff down (Conwy).




a few notes to self: bind off loosely on toe up socks. increase some when turning heel in toe up to allow for some stretch. most importantly... when knitting a pattern, you read the chart from top down when knitting toe up socks (duh).

pattern changes: i didn't do patterns all the way down the foot, b/c who's gonna see?

Ene

Pattern: from Scarf Style
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in the Black Purl colorway
Needles: US 5



pattern changes: none, really, except for some goofs i made that I had to creatively fix. Not a very tough pattern once you realize there are only 6 stitches in the repeat. Counting rows would've helped immensely.

12 Comments:

Blogger WandaWoman said...

Whoo-hoo! You're the FO lady today. Of course you know I love the socks, b/c hello, I had to buy the same yarn and all. And your Ene scarf is just lovely. I hope you love it and wear it alot. It would be smashing with a black or purple top. Seeing yours almost makes me want to make one. Are you joining the Amazing lace?

5/7/06, 11:45 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

The socks and Ene turned out great! I feel your pain about the weight gain thing--I haven't been the same since I had my first kiddo(and losing weight has gotten harder the older I've gotten). If we could invent a workout that allowed you to knit and exercise, I think I would do much better :)

5/8/06, 8:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can totally relate - I was about 50 lbs heavier by the end of grad school! Ack.

Another lovely pair of Trekking 108s. And how can I not love your Ene, when it's in my favorite LL colorway? How much of the skein did you have left? I have a skein of Helen's Lace in Black Purl, just looking for the right pattern...

5/8/06, 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the socks and the shawl. Hmm, maybe there's a correlation between gaining physical weight and yarn stash weight, because I do believe that as I started acquiring stash my weight also started increasing. hmmm.

5/8/06, 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a GORGEOUS Shawl!!! I L O V E IT! You did a really fantastic job and should be really proud of yourself. Sorry I haven't left a comment for you lately. TPP keeps me really busy these days. I still read your blog all the time!

5/8/06, 9:40 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Look at you! Congrats on the two finished objects! They look great- I hope to see them both close up soon.

5/8/06, 1:03 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

OMG! they are beautiful cyn! congrats on the two FO's!!!!! and you know what? congrats on the wieght gain too, and by that i mean the stash ;)

5/8/06, 1:16 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

The shawl is stunning. I love the FO kick, it must be in the air. How does it work if you have a weight gain already going into grad school? Can it go the opposite way? Congrats on your graduation! I am already dreaming of graduating.

5/8/06, 3:08 PM  
Blogger lesley said...

wow, beautiful socks and scarf! haha too funny about the chart reading i would have done something like that. they turned out great though :)

5/8/06, 6:18 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Ene and the socks are looking good! I hear you on the weight thing.

5/8/06, 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea Cynthia! Your Ene is just gorgeous...I can't wait to see you wear it!

5/9/06, 1:49 PM  
Blogger jen said...

loooove looooove loooove the FO's! Can't wait to see that Ene in person!

5/9/06, 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home