"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Meet my new man*

Unfortunately for me, I speak not of a real flesh and blood man, but aMiranda kind of man. Someone who will thoughtfully obey my every whim, read my mind, and entertain me for hours on end. Still stumped?

I'm getting my very own TiVo. A TiVo!

I'll now move onto yarn related items. Such as...


We've got 2 skeins of worsted weight, a skein of lace weight, and a skein of dk weight that I got in an SP swap from Susan. We used jacquard acid dyes and some kool aid. I wish I had more experience, and had more time, b/c obviously I rushed through dying the dk and lace weight yarns. However, I kind of like them anyway. Especially the greens... The only colors I don't LOVE in my experiments... that neon green/yellow in the worsted weights, and the red in the lace weight.
Although Maggie was kind enough to make up some sugar scrub (infused with lilac) and helped me bleach my hands back to their original color (cough cough, someone was too impatient to keep working with latex gloves on, cough cough), my nail cuticles still show evidence of my penchant to dye with dark colors.

So. lessons learned
1) chose a nice coolish day with a nice breeze
2) have at least 3 ppl at your dye party. One who knows what they're doing, one who is organized, and one who cooks well.
3). mix PLENTY of dye. use it judiciously. You do NOT need to let your yarn swim in it, but you DO need enough to saturate the yarn.
4) if you like your outdoor furniture, get one of those cheap plastic picnic table covers and tape it down. trust. the saran wrap that you'll be laying down? doesn't help much.
5) try the kool aid! it's quite fun, and is the easiest and least messy.

To take care of your hands afterwards
1) in a bowl, make a solution of bleach + water. liberally rub around on your hands and use the nail brush.
2) follow up with a sugar scrub (scoop some sugar into palm. add some olive oil) it'll make your hands feel like a baby's bottom.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

ok...stop throwing it back in my face ;)

and tivo...aren't you a student? is this wise?

9/18/06, 4:25 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like a blast. That colorway with the neon green looks like a NASCAR color scheme.

9/18/06, 8:08 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

So jealous of Tivo. I'll trade you a man...

Your yarn looks awesome. One of these days, I really want to try dyeing my own.

9/18/06, 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a ton of fun. So jealous. :D

9/18/06, 12:27 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Very pretty colors--so what are you going to make with them?

9/18/06, 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TiVo! My kind of man. The dye party sounds like fun and your first couple of weeks as a grad student sound hellish! I hope they got the money situation corrected.

Your yarn stash looks awesome. And organized. And awesome.

9/18/06, 2:51 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Hey, looks really good. If you didn't say it was ur first attempt, I would not have guessed.

i wear surgical gloves when I dye, otherwise I look like I have incredible hulk hands afterwards.

9/18/06, 5:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Maryse has an excellent point - Tivo sounds very antistudent!!

I can overdye for you, if you wish. :)

9/18/06, 9:21 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ahhh, yes... one of my gloves split when i dyes this weekend ans i ended up looking like clark griswald on european vaction! glad you had fun, they look GREAT!

9/18/06, 10:12 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

alllllright girl....a picture of the club monkey...just for you.

by the way....tivo is the best!!! and i love your new dye jobs.

9/18/06, 10:56 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

You and Tivo! So funny. It looks like you had quite the fun time!

9/19/06, 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the results, the worsted looks llike something that would be perfect for a small boy's garment. At least my nephews were always in love with neon green when they were little, so maybe that's why that was the first thing I thought of.

9/20/06, 2:18 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i think your dye jobs look great. if you decide you are unhappy enough not to use it... you could always over-dye.....

ahhhhh tivo. i LOVE having it. actually - very nice for a student, i think... you can record and watch when convenient :D
anything else you need help justifying ??? ;-P

9/21/06, 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home