"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Blepherospasms... and yarngasms.

Doesn't that sound... exciting? Like I've been having FUN? Obviously, the yarngasm is a positive thing. Our favorite Wendy invited me to tag along as a whack of the Boston knitters trekked over to Western Mass to attend Deb's first stop on her book tour.

We needed to bolster Deb's spirits first. We sacrificed ourselves in the name of knitterly love, and all of us shopped with her at Webs. In our short stay, most of us left with at least one large bag crammed full of yarn. Though I have forgotten to take pictures of my take, but I do have pictures of fiber heaven.


Webs is separated into two distinct sections. The front room is organized like a typical (well, nicer than typical) yarn store. With shelves, lots of light, pattern books, notions, etc. Then we've got the warehouse in the back.



As you enter the warehouse, you're greeted by this site... CARTS!! Large grocery shopping carts. Only in my dreams would I be running around the store with a shopping cart (though, i must admit, i almost needed one).


Do you SEE the size of these aisles? It's a bit misleading that each aisle is called "aisle 100, 200, 300, etc" but with about 8 aisles that are long long long, still feel quite overwhelmed. There are HUGE boxes STUFFED full of yarn, piled up to the tippy top of the warehouse. This warehouse... knitters could live out there dream of ROLLING around in the yarn. Jumping into one of those huge styrofoam pits filled with YARN. Sigh.

After all of us had our yarngasms, we schlepped over to have a bite to eat, and to get Deb a drink before her very first book presentation. Her talk was hilarious, punctuated by her trunk show of example pieces from the MOKS (Museum of Kitschy Stitches).



After the talk, many of us did some more collecting, but instead of yarn, we got some books. We then hopped over to Salvation Army, in search of odds and ends. our next stop was the fabric store (during which someone who doesn't sew took a nap instead), followed by dinner. Wendy, Kristin (a medical student with free time?), Marcy, Elisa, Kelly (yarn pusher of the highest order... not only does she know about the deals, she knows what you should make with it!), Deb, her husband, and Maryse!. It was really nice to finally meet someone who i've been blogstalking for quite some time. And she's funnier in person as she is on her blog.

When I dragged my sorry ass home at some time past 9pm (we had left bright and early at 8am), I was exhausted, but in the very best of ways. My eye twitch, while not quite a blephorspasm, disappeared (after having been present for about 5 days), only to reappear at the mere mention of school reading.

Next post will include the haul from WEBS.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I had such a blast and you guys made it all worth it. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without you. Good friends, Webs and a drink was exactly the thing to make a scary day much better.

Maybe you should go yarn shopping and have a gin and tonic before school every morning. Would that help the eye twitch?

9/24/06, 4:23 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

But you didn't show the booty! What gives??

9/24/06, 4:31 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Glad you had a good time--Webs alone would have made a great outing :)

9/24/06, 5:33 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

I am sweating the Webs trip and the book tour. I seriously need to make the journey to Webs. Does it have more than their store?

9/24/06, 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you sacrificed yourself for the greater good and went to WEBS.

Can't wait to see the haul.

9/24/06, 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a fun time! I didn't know Deb had written a book, I'm goign to have to look for that. I used to love to read her blog, and then I lost it on bloglines and forgot about it.

Webs looks like some place I could seriously do some major damage.

9/25/06, 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh... One of these day we have to go shopping there. That's the kind of place we wouldn't even have to fight over yarn. There's plenty for everyone! LOL. Sounds like a blast.

9/25/06, 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me vicariously visit Webs with you.

Some day..... *sigh*

9/25/06, 12:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can see how that would ease the pain of school!!

9/25/06, 7:33 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

And can I just say that I can't believe that you got to meet Maryse in person first, and go to a bookstore that I've been to probably about 100 times, when I used to live out there. So unfair.

9/26/06, 1:59 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

hey dude! i left you a comment earlier today! what happened?

there were grocery carts? how did i miss those.

i'm so glad we finally got to meet!

9/26/06, 7:46 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

all i have to say is WOW! is your new home treating you right or what! ;)

9/26/06, 8:10 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that there are shopping CARTS!

9/26/06, 8:52 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Some fun, huh? I hope Webs makes up a wee bit for having to leave CO behind. :D

9/27/06, 6:42 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

what an incredible day!
how fun to be with knitty friends shopping for yarn - instead of groaning children and husband *sigh* i'm so jealous

10/15/06, 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home