"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Give a small inch, Take a MILE.

So, I was punished for my indiscretion. Everyone knows that I need no more yarn. Especially at the rate I'm knitting? (about 5 stitches per week), I have no business even going into the hallowed ground of WEBS, much less walk out with a huge bag stuffed full of yarn.

what? what was that? you want to see what I bought?




What we see is the big ass pile of yarn. I just couldn't make myself branch


out from my favorite color -blue/green-. I tried!! I really did! The cash iroha, I almost bought the purple color instead, b/c I also like purple and I can easily see how much blue/green I have in my stash by turning my neck about 5 degrees to the left. But the Boston bloggers convinced me that this color was better (they had to twist my arm, i swear!). The silky tweed was almost brown or midnight blue instead, b/c there were only 6 skeins of this lovely color... until someone (can't remember who in the broo ha ha) pointed out that there was more of this stuff in the front room.

I think hour glass with the cash iroha, and I found an elsepeth lavold pattern for the silky tweed. (the one in orange, bottom right, and on the cover).

I also bought a few skeins of silk garden, but that was shipped off to Celia posthaste. She wants to make her baby a lizard ridge blanky, and who am I to deny her access to clearanced Silk Garden?

I also enjoyed some SheepMail! I had coerced a few friends (Michelle, Jeni, Stacey...) to join the Grey's Anatomy KAL. Stacey, being such a good friend and all, sent me



I also got my Socks That Rock club yarn a week or so ago. and I LOVE IT. The first two shipments were a little bit disappointing, to tell the truth. I see that it's lovely yarn, but the colorways were... so PINK. Wanda took one skein off my hands, and I'm trying to convince myself that I like the other skein. But this skein? It was luuuuv at first sight.


After all that goodness, I was due a downfall. I was not disappointed.
Just as I was sitting here at home, gloating over my yarn purchases on Sunday, feeling oh so satisfied with my life... ring ring ring!!! The special ring tone that I have assigned to my parents (um. ok. I'll admit that my parents are the ONLY ones with a special ring tone. The one that says "if you're tired, you don't have to bother trying to find the phone because it's just your parents." I know. You don't have to say it. Bad bad daughter. It was 11am, and I decided I was too comfy on my couch (never you mind that the phone was also on the couch).

* the following "amusing to you all, but not amusing to me" parent story is dedicated to Maryse. Everyone go give that girl some encouragement (the french version of my parents, aka HER parents, are visiting her for 2 weeks).

1pm. RING RING RING RING. (sigh!)

230pm. RING RING RING RING. (sigh! eye roll. SIGH! eye roll. SIGH.)

4pm. RING RING RING RING. (Cyn's blood pressure goes up about 20 pts).

5pm. RING RING RING...
At this point, I wanted to just throw the phone out the window. But, I don't live on the 11th floor of the building anymore. I live in the basement. Throwing the phone out the window won't solve my problem, unless I happen to throw it hard enough that it ends up under the tracks of the subway. I snatched the freaking fricking fracking phone up and pushed the green button so hard, i'm not sure why my phone didn't bust right then and there. I"m sure that the grip I had on my phone wasn't anything to sneeze at either.

me: "HELLO" (with a very pissed off tone)

dad: "CynCyn-ah... where have you been all day?"

me: "I'm studying Dad."

dad: "oh, you're at the library?"

me: "no, i'm at home, but i've been studying. Which, by the way? when you call and call and call? don't do that. If I don't answer, leave a message, and I'll call you back when I have TIME. Don't keep calling and calling and calling. It's kind of... annoying."

dad: "....."

me: "I'll call you back if you leave a message. But if you call and I don't answer it means that I AM BUSY."

dad: "oh, you're busy?"

me: "um. yeah dad. the PhD program kind of keeps me busy."

dad: "oh, is it a lot of work?"

me: (grrrrrrr, what does he think? that the PhD program is a piece of cake? shits and giggles all the time?) "um, yeah dad. there's a lot of work involved."

The rest of the convo was me telling him what I needed (my immunization records). Which they denied that they had (but I knew they had).

530pm. RING RING RING RING!!! (grrrr)

Dad: So, we found your immunization records. Why do you need them?

Me: (notice that there's no mention that I was right?) My school needs them as proof that I'm not carrying some disease around like vermin dad.

Dad: well, that's ridiculous. You were born and raised in the USA. How do they expect that you got schooled in the US if you didn't get your immunizations?

Me: Sigh. Dad, I don't know. They just need them ok? I don't make the rules. Can you just send them to me please?

Dad: Well, I see that you got the blah blah blah in 1976, and then again in..

Me: Dad? I dont' need to know the dates of every vaccine I got. I just NEED THE RECORDS.

Dad: Oh. Well, it looks like your last immunization was in 1993.

Me: Yes Dad, I know. But I don't need to know all that, I JUST NEED YOU TO SEND ME THE FORM.

Dad: Oh. Ok.


6pm.
RING RING RING RING (are you fucking KIDDING ME?????)

Me: YES???

Dad: We made a copy. We'll send you the copy. We'll keep the original form here so you don't lose it.

Me: (thinking, jesus and mary. I'm 30 yrs old. If I can't be trusted to keep track of my own shit, maybe someone should call my school and tell them I'm WAY too stupid to get a PhD. what the EFF were THEY thinking accepting me?) Dad. I have my own birth certificate, my passport, quite a few important papers that I've managed not to lose. You can send me the original forms. But if it makes YOU feel better to have the original, then fine. send me the copy.

Dad: Ok. We'll send you the copy.

Is it just me? or did the point of what I said just completely fly over his head? My Dad and I got in a rip roaring fight a couple weeks before I moved to Boston (because every girl who's picking up all her shit and leaving all her friends needs MORE stress. Didn't you know?) During THAT fun conversation, I told my dad that he doesn't listen to me. He doesn't hear what I'm saying. To which he got offended and said, what? when don't i listen to you? you're being silly.

sigh.

630pm. RING RING RING RING (holy mary. someone just kill me. I might go throw MYSELF in front of the subway)

Me: "YES?"
Dad: "we sent you some stuff from CA."
Me: "ok"
Dad: "we'll send the immunization records"
Me: "yes. ok"
Dad: "ok... so, have you talked to your brother?"

now. didn't you all notice that I said I was busy and that the PhD program had a lot of work to go with it? Does he really think I have time for him to call and call and call and call and call? Ok. My bad that I didn't answer the phone the first four times he called. But really.

Thank God, or whoever the powers that be, that he is back to work today. I think that my father, is the MOST annoying man alive when he's on vacation.

I know. You don't have to say it. bad bad ungrateful daughter.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not a bad ungrateful daughter. Your parents are pains.
Now I'm a bad ungrateful daughter-friend...

9/29/06, 4:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My dad does the EXACT same thing! He calls over and over about trivial things that could easily wait. Makes me frickin' crazy!

9/29/06, 5:15 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

At least he did it all on one day ;)

I have to say agree with him about the immunization record thing. I don't get why as an adult(born and raised here in the US)--you need to keep proving you were immunized years and years ago. I DO understand why you need the form it's just the system that drives me crazy.

Hopefully this weekend is less eventful for you :)

By the way I LOVE the yarn you picked out--great color.

9/29/06, 5:52 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

Actually, I had the same headache when entering the Master's program. I emailed my undergraduate college and had them fax over the records to the new school. Then, I learned that there is a new required immunization that came into affect after I went to school. I never really care why those requirements exist as long as I can get them done. and quickly.

9/29/06, 5:59 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I was wondering about the haul! I love the Silky Tweed and the funny thing is I planned on making the exact same sweater, the name is Tilia. Dude, your parents are so funny, especially your father. What yarn did you get for the Grey's KAL? I'm glad you got some STR that YOU like. It's about time.

9/29/06, 6:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yarn = *droooooooooool*

Cute kitty paws.

Parents. EEEK! I can relate, after a fashion. My dad doesn't listen, either. And my brother and I only hear from him when he needs something.

9/29/06, 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom said that she's NEVER letting my Dad retire. He'll just sit around and drive everyone crazy. ;)

9/29/06, 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao - my HUSBAND does just the same thing!

If you feel like selling that pinkish skein of STR - or trading me for my skein of Vesper Sock yarn in the Midnight Knitter colorway...I am willing!

9/29/06, 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrible unnatural daughter. And no, you will never be old enough. I'll never forget my 90 year old grandmother scolding my 65 year old father like he was three. (He rolled his eyes surreptitiously the entire time. It was funny as all get out).

At least you have lovely yarny goodness to wallow it. If the kitty feet don't get to some of them first.

10/1/06, 7:26 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

hey thanks for the shout out. these days it's my mother that is in the dog house. yesterday while we were with my inlaws, she told me i was ugly AND that i only talked about myself. and then proceeded to talk about herself for the next 4 hours. i left the room because it was either that or start crying or something equally humiliating.

my dad and i have actually been getting along. i only wish he'd tell my mother to shut the fuck up.

anyway -- the incessant calling. that would be my dad too if they didn't live in france.

a friend of mine was not allowed to start classes until she showed proof of immunization. and when she had her childhood records pulled, her school told her that they weren't sufficient.

10/2/06, 4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Maybe you could turn the phone off? ;) I was annoyed on your behalf.

10/2/06, 11:43 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ahhhh, you know i adore the parent convo's ;) keep them coming! and i do hope all your hard work pays off... remember you're a genius!

10/2/06, 7:59 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Hey, I can relate.must be an Aisan parent thing .. or maybe a parent thing.. ntohing to do with being Asian:p

I am glad you went to Webs and were tempted :) My silk garden has arrived and I can start my lizard ridge soon!

10/3/06, 4:06 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

my dad just retired. 'nuff said.

anyway - back to your yummy yarn - what kind of sock yarn is that? i love the colorway.

10/3/06, 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home