"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Paralyzed with Possibilities

My life in the last three weeks has left much to be desired. I have been quite homesick, as the reality of moving to Boston has begun to set in. I probably could have ridden the wave of "I'm too busy with schoolwork to notice that I have no social life to speak of" if my school life had stayed busy as all get out, but emotionally stable.

Three weeks ago, we had a guest lecturer from a very well respected university. He was eloquent. He was concise. He was SO knowledgeable.



He was also a bigot.


I don't want to go into all the details, but this incident has affected me, and the other students of color, in a profound way over the course of the last three weeks. This past month could be a terrific example of ripple effect. The program, faculty and students alike, are all scrambling to deal with how this incident has impacted on on the personal, class, interpersonal, and program level. It has not been easy for me to focus on schoolwork. I don't really need any comments or inquiries about this in the comment section, b/c I don't really want to explain what happened. Sorry if that's hard for you right now, but I wrote about it for the 'journal' part of blogging, not for the 'share my life with others' part of blogging. That distinction is difficult to make b/c I know other ppl read my blog to see whats going on for me in my life. If it's really driving you insane with curiousity, just email me instead, ok?


let's move on to more important matters. I prefer to think about Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts. Agonizing over which of my beautiful sock yarns I would use on this project... and in two-three weeks of thinking about, looking at, and thinking about my yarns some more, I am no closer to a decision. So, i'll leave it to you.

Here are the choices



Here are the choices, next to my 'background' color.
First up, this one little skein from Rhinebeck (Spirit Trail Fiberworks). It has blues, purples, greens, purples and browns. I like this one b/c it's subtle and variegated, and it's one of. I don't have enough to make a pair of socks out of this, but I love the colors. The cons are that since there is a bit of brown in the skein, it might not 'pop' as much as some of the other yarns I'm considering.

#2: lovely Koigu. I love this colorway, even though the, AHEM, lavendar shade in it borders dangerously close upon being pinkish. The lovely light LAVENDER and green shades look beautiful against the brown. Cons: i have two skeins of this colorway and wouldn't be able to make socks with them.


#3: More Koigu. In bright beautiful aquas/turquoise colors. Pros: i love the color combo of brown and aqua/turquoise. Cons: i bought two skeins of this colorway hoping to make a pair of socks.





#4: My favorite Koigu colorway EVER. I have 4 skeins of this colorway (don't ask) so, don't mind using one up for the endpaper mitts. I love the blues, greens, and bitty bit of purple that runs through this, and I think it looks smashing against the brown.

So. If you're reading, please vote in the comments. I leave the fate of my endpaper mitt color choice to you.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

I am going with #4. #3 is nice but you have 2 skeins and only need one.. what will you do with the other? #2 may be too subtle and #1 is too varigated I think.

12/9/06, 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would choose #4. You really want to knit them with #4, it's obvious! Pluss it's more logical, since you get to make your mitts and knit socks too.

12/9/06, 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like 1, but love how 3 is such a contrast in the 2 colors. Go for 3!!!!

12/9/06, 9:46 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

either 3 or 4. 1 and 2 aren't contrasty enough.

and i'm sorry you've been so homesick and this school incident has been so upsetting.

12/10/06, 5:26 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

So, Maryse tells me it's your birthday. Happy Birthday! I hope you can do something fun today.

12/10/06, 5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Those mittens by Eunny are tremendous. One of these days my skill set will be at the level to make them.

Sounds like that guest lecturer is a tool no matter how eloquent he was.

12/10/06, 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Cynthia! A little birdie told me that it was your birthday (OK, it was Maryse). Happy Birthday, and many happy returns! Regarding the bigot, Larry Summers went down over the whole men/women/science thing, so there's hope. On the mitts question, my first inclination is the second color, though the contrast will probably be a little low for the desired effect. Of the remaining, I like the fourth the best. On the pining thing, I hear you. My first year in grad school, I decided that it was too soon to return to the east coast from California, and it made me a little blue. The nice thing about being a knitter is that there are a variety of ready-made social experiences available. Sundays from 4 to 7, the Knitsmiths meet in the basement of the Brookline Booksmith. There are three wwekly social circles at Circles in Jamaica Plain (Thursday and Saturday nights, and Sunday mornings). Every month or two, I host a knitting circle at my house in Brighton Center, a healthy walk from BC. Say the word, and I'll make sure to invite you the next go round.

12/10/06, 9:03 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I say go with number 4. It looks like a good light/dark contrast(and it's your favorite color of Koigu).

Happy Birthday!!!

12/10/06, 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! I had no idea it was your birthday?! When are you done with stuff? We're making you dinner baby!

12/10/06, 9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I vote for #4 since it will provide a nice contrast and it is your favorite. I like #1 for myself! What is the colorway?
Happy Birthday!

12/10/06, 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm I like them all you will just have to make multiples..
Happy Birthday Baby!
Denise
knitchat.com

12/10/06, 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like #3 best. I think. Dang, those are hard choices.

Sorry to hear about your assinine lecturer! It does only take one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. But [bad word] to him and his antiquated notions.

Happy Birthday!

12/10/06, 7:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

If you have time, I HAVE to know what happened! I am an extremely passionate person when it comes to stuff like this... I can't listen to talk radio without my blood boiling.(DH has forbidden me)...

I like 1&2.... Can't figure out which i like better... hope that helps ;)

12/10/06, 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend. I hope that you have a good one. When are you coming back to Denver?

12/10/06, 8:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

#1 or #4, I think.

*hug*

12/11/06, 6:18 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Belated Happy Birthday, by the way!!

12/11/06, 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday!

I'd say #4 would be best, since you have multiple skeins and won't have to break up a sock pair.

#1 is beautiful, but there will be pattern loss. #3 would also be beautiful, and #2 would again have pattern loss.

Is there a Koigu that isn't beautiful? I like them all!

12/11/06, 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would choose #4. The first two don't provide enough of a contrast I think and would end up getting lost, the 3rd one is a bit too contrasting, so I say #4.

Sorry about whatever happened, I hope in time you can forget whatever happened or at least find peace.

12/11/06, 9:15 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I say #3. It will really make a statement.

12/11/06, 9:23 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I have to go with 3 as well.

I'm so sorry about the lecturer- I hope that youewre able to talk with your professor, or some people in the department about it.

12/11/06, 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the awful speaker. I hope the scrambling is at least helping make things better in the department, instead of just making it scramble-y.

I was going to choose 1, because I like the way they go together, but everyone who points out that the contrast isn't very high has convinced me that's a bad idea.
So I'm looking forward to seeing your decision. :-)

And Happy Birthday!

12/11/06, 2:08 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Really sorry to hear that you had to go through such an experience. It really makes it hard to deal with while tryig to focus on your last 2 weeks of this term. Try to let it go and know that is something you can further investigate after the term. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that. It's never easy to deal with it and always very hurtful.

12/11/06, 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home