"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, September 02, 2005

If you voted for and support Bush...

you won't enjoy this email as much as I did... I'm not saying Michael Moore is unbiased, but he does tend to raise consciousness on some subjects that need to be investigated...


Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this! I am currently out of the country in a place many in the US called 3rd world or developing and they(we) are SHOCKED that the "greatest country in the world" can't seem to help its stranded citizens.

I agree 100% with the Kennebunkport comment.

9/2/05, 5:14 PM  
Blogger jill said...

Love it. I did not vote for Bush either time and can't believe how slow he is being with the whole Gulf Coast problem.
Thanks for posting. I agree with Michael Moore 100%.

9/2/05, 8:37 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

he he he! love ya girlie! in the midst of reading everyones sadness and need to help, and other peoples very rehearsed opinions...this post was a breath of fresh air for me:) thank you mr.moore!

9/2/05, 9:28 PM  
Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

And don't forget those rising gas prices!

Nope, don't want your close friends losing any money, do you Mr. President?

Jill said she can't believe how slow acting he is. That's his normal speed. His other is reverse.

Whew! I'm steamed.

That was a great letter.

Thanks for posting it!

9/3/05, 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it. So true. Local (maybe nationwide, but really, who can tell with them) PBS rebroadcast last night (Fri.) a show they did in 2002 about how NO scientists were concerned about the possibilities, etc.
I have to say, though, I think my favorite part is the atlanta based, ahem, "es-corts" who are also fond of Michael Moore. Although it would've been funnier if they were from a little further south...

9/3/05, 5:16 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I've heard several people say that this is the beginning of the end for W, and I sure hope that they're right. I'm skeptical, honestly.

9/4/05, 12:15 PM  
Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

I don't know if you read Jimmy Breslin's column but he ripped Bush a new one on Sunday.

Here's the link for the paper I read it from (OH, bad English!).

www.newsday.com type in "Breslin" for the search and 9/4 was the date.

9/5/05, 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that! I've heard about this letter (prob from you now that I think about it) and wondered what he had to say. I totally agree that this whole this is a giant mess. It's irresponsible for it to have taken this long to get people help down there.

9/6/05, 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this letter. I am from Germany and I am shocked how long it took to rescue people in new Orleans. German Red Cross offered help even before the hurricane hit New Orleans. It took Bush ten days to oerde this help.
I saw a woman on TV, holding her nearly dead baby in her arm and asking for help. I am not sure if the baby is still alive. But I think I cannot forget this picture for years. I hope you Americans are strong now and "kick your president's ass" before he starts a new war instead of helping his own people.
Here we have to pay the high oil prices as well, Bush's "friends" are happy about what happened, they make more profit. And we Germans cannot understand why so many black people weren't rescued in time. It really seems as if Bush was happy to get rid of them.
As you can see, I am still very shocked. I wish I could get on the next plane to New Orleans and help there with my own hands.

Greetings from Germany

Brigitte

9/6/05, 2:26 PM  
Blogger jen said...

You go, babe. Loved it.

9/6/05, 3:35 PM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

I'mm seeing that leter every where LOL

9/10/05, 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home