"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The rule of four

No, I am not talking about the book, but kind of my new year's resolution for knitting.

After discussing it ad nauseum with my knitting grlz, I will be limiting myself to FOUR projects on the needles at any given time.

At the height of insanity, I had nine, er, ten. Nothing compared to some, but for me, I had begun to lose focus on the finishing part of knitting.

The list of projects and status.
1) scarf: backyard leaves (knitting portion complete: blocking in progress)
2) scarf and mitten set for ISE: in progress. not due until Feb 15th.
3) scarf: My so called scarf using Manos del Uraguay: on the needles
4) Simple baby pullover: purple cotton ease: complete
5) chunky baby cardigan: green alpaca AL: complete, need to sew on buttons
6) brown cable tank: needs to be seamed together
7) purple soeleil tank: needs seaming
8) spork: in progress
9) clapotis: Interlacements: ripped out due to insufficient funds/yarn.
will re start next year.
10) Rogue hoodie: stalled

That's everything that's not COMPLETELY finis. I don't count 1, 4,5,6,7,9, or 10 as WIPs b/c they are either not progressing at all (10), don't need any actual KNITTING to be considered complete (1,4,5,6,7), or will be ripped out to re-start (9).
Now, either I am the Queen of Denial and Rationalization, or I really don't have that many WIPs! Because, I count three. My ISE set of mittens and scarf, my so called scarf, and spork. which means I get to cast on for something or another!!

This long winded self involved post is where I need YOUR help. What should I cast on for next?
up for consideration:

1) Fair Isle Jazz out of Scarf Style
2) Ene's Scarf out of Scarf style
3) Charlotte's Web
4) felted clogs by Fibertrend. (obligation knitting)

The rule of four of which I am speaking... means that I want four different projects for different purposes
1) a pair of socks: for portability
2) a lace pattern/difficult something or another in which I will learn somthing about knitting.
3) a color pattern
4) a kind of boring pattern which I can knit while watching TV/movies.

now, if i'm really smart, I can combine #1 with either #2 or #3.
the mittens i'm knitting can qualify as socks for now, spork definitely qualifies for #4, and my so called scarf... is almost done.
but for now, i want to cast on for ene, fair isle, or charlotte, and I can't decide which one... wanna help me?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Char! Lotte's! Web!
Char! Lotte's! Web!

Or you could start with Ene's scarf.

And I think that all the seaming & buttoning does *not* count towards your rule/4 list until it's been not-done for a month. :-)

12/22/05, 5:18 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Ene's scarf
Ene's scarf
Ene's scarf
Ene's scarf
Ene's scarf

Yeah, u get the idea..:)

12/22/05, 5:27 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Umm, whichever you start, it'll be a great project, I'm sure. If you bring the two tanks with you tomorrow, I will seam them up for you, k?

12/22/05, 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Celia Ene's scarf. Have a good Christmas

12/22/05, 10:51 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

I would pick Charlotte's Web. But then I'm partial to Koigu.

12/23/05, 5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I think I had close to 20 UFOs at one point this fall. My recommendation is to take a day and do the fininshing work on those five things. THEN think about what to cast on for next.

12/23/05, 8:03 AM  
Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

Well, I've seen the pattern for Charlotte's Web - it's not a pretty sight.

I'd go with Ene's. But that's purely selfish...because I want to start that and it's kind of confusing to my brain! LOL! I'm sure if I started it, I'd be able to follow, tho.

Now, what if you had 4 of each TYPE of project in the works? :-D

No, I don't count finishing. Nope, nope, nope.

12/23/05, 3:17 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow ... I've tried that, but just can't handle the stress of only a few projects (versus those who get stressed by more than a few projects!) ... and if you can do it, I bow to your holy knitliness. :) Happy holidays!

12/24/05, 2:39 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I would vote for Charlotte, so that you and Stacey could work on it together....I've been wanting to cast on for another, but I just can't.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

12/26/05, 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - Nice dig. ;D
Rule of 4? Good idea. Good luck. I'll be happy if I can get down to only one of each kind of thing on the needles at the same time. Did you see Kim's post about the stashalong?

12/27/05, 9:49 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Charlotte'e Web. Koigu. Yum.

12/28/05, 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home