"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Between

It's amazing how productive you can be when you're busy. My theory is that you feel less guilty for procrastinating on something (like a paper, let's say) if you're doing something productive (like knitting a sock, maybe). My other favorite way to procrastinate now is to sleep. I call it 'self care.' Us psychological-mental health people can rationalize anything.

So, now I have a sort of but not really matching pair of Opal Socks.

You can kind of make out the differences... um, besides the obvious difference in length of the leg. The sock that has the white/purple toe (they look like little purple tulips to me) was done toe up. The longer sock was done cuff down (I cast on while I was out and about and didn't have my "how to cast on for a toe up sock" instructions.

Having knit two pairs of socks this way (one toe up, one cuff down), here are my conclusions. I love that i can end the sock almost anytime after turning the heel when knitting toe up. I DON'T like binding off the cuff on the toe up sock, b/c I"m a tight tight knitter and even if I use 'stretchy' bind offs and larger needles, it's not as stretchy as the cuff down cuffs.... For the cuff down socks, I love the seemingly more 'finished/polished' cuff, but hate grafting the toe. I also don't like how I can't estimate how much sock I can knit before I run out of yarn. (Ok, honesty forces me to admit that I never really worry about running out of yarn. I have a small foot, US6.5. I'm just impatient, OK?

Other fun purchases, made at Windsor Button in the Downtown Crossing area of Boston:

I couldn't choose between these two Rowan Classic books, so I bought them both. There are tons of sweater patterns I love in the left book, and see that scarf? LOVE IT.
These sock patterns are a Fiber Trend pattern. I don't know how well you can see them... but they're PURTY. And maybe will force me to make some matching socks?




On the left: my latest acquisition of Cherry Tree Hill supersock. You know that all their colors are kind of limited editions, so when I see one I like, I snap it up b/c it really might never be available again.

On the right, a pic of the blanket from one of the books I bought above.


Now I have to struggle with what skein of sock yarn to use next. Maybe I chose the company first. Koigu? Cherry Tree Hill? STR? Lorna's?
So far, I've used Meilenweit, Opal, Trekking, Cherry Tree Hill, and Interlacements. But I bet I'll end up using the Fiber Trends pattern to make me some cute sandal socks...

I probably won't be blogging for another 2 weeks. I have humongo ginormous papers due in the next 1.5 weeks (90 pages worth) and someone needs to get cracking. This past week, I was at school for an average of 10 hrs per day (not including today). I think when you're at school until 11pm at night (and you've been there since 10am that morning) something in your life is whacked and you should have to check yourself into a mental institution. Or a spa. Right now, I would probably find either one of those pretty relaxing.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Good luck with the school stuff! I have a pretty good toe-up bind off... On the 2nd to the last round, I knit from my reguar needles (say 0s in this example) onto larger needles (I would use 2s here). Then for the bind-off round, I bind off loosely in pattern. If that still gave you a tight bind off, I would go up one more needle size. Looks sloppy until you wash the socks a few times.

4/29/07, 6:32 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

I am done with classes this week. We always get lectued on self-care, and when classes are in session I never do self-care. It is good to know about the CTH that they are pretty much limited edition. I will make sure to pick it up as soon as I see them.

4/29/07, 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay so which spa should I meet you at? :)

4/29/07, 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a spa would be a better choice. They leave the lights on too bright at the mental institutions.

Good luck on the papers! So how many pairs of socks can you knit writing 90 pages of papers? We shall see!

Those socks are purty.

Knit the Koigu. I'm doing my first pair in Koigu and soooo amazing.

4/29/07, 9:04 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

good luck on the papers. i'll be thinking of you. let me know when you come up for air again.

4/30/07, 6:30 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Umm, you are making me tired! I'm glad you got the socks finished, they look great. Very spring-like! Good luck with the paper. I've got one due this week too and I know what you mean about spending days at the library. That's where I will be all this week. 90 pp though, hmm, I'm falling out right now.

4/30/07, 10:14 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Oh, and don't even talk to me about procrastination. You've just given me a reason to start a pair of stockinette socks, rather than work on those I've already got started. . .:-)

4/30/07, 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love those sock patterns, and of course your new socks. Just a few more weeks until you can sleep your heart content!

4/30/07, 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're awesome. and yes, sleeping=self care....i'm really good at that too:)

4/30/07, 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with school. I won't be blogging much in the forseeable future as time just doesn't permit it. Oh well, such is life.

Love the socks, even despite their differences. And I loved teh fact that you did one each way and are now comparing. I need to do the exact same thing because I just can't decide between the two methods.

4/30/07, 5:42 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Purple is my favorite color. Love the colors of those socks.

Thanks for the "self care" excuse. You psychological-mental health people are pretty clever and can rational anything.

Oh, you made me homesick when I read about Windsor Button Shop. They didn't sell yarn or knitting patterns back then.

5/1/07, 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a gift certificate to a spa in Denver that is getting used once the semester is over. Good luck finishing up!!!

5/3/07, 8:55 AM  
Blogger lesley said...

hey have you tried the sewn cast off? that one seems to be more stretchy for a toe up. just a thought. glad you made i tthrough the semseter :)

5/11/07, 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home