"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

House Elves...

I spent most of my weekend at a retreat... where a group of 10 of us re-drafted and re-worked the 'constitution' of a student organizational body. Sounds fun, eh? Joining the student organization has given me a good way to get to know some of the ins and outs of grad student life here at my university. The organization and school paid for us to go to this retreat center tucked away in the burbs of Boston.
It's nice to hear that most of you don't think I'm crazy. But here's another log to throw on the fire. Though this was a draining and grueling process, I kind of enjoyed a reason to NOT have to be making up excuses as to why I wasn't doing homework. I was productive, it was school related, but not for class. It was refreshing.

Anyway, I've never gone to a place like this... we arrived in time for dinner on Friday night. Where we were served duck and CRAB. CRAB! Mmmmm. And the dessert table. Let's not mention that someone had carrot cake AND raspberry choc. torte. The bunch of us settled into our cabins, then reconvened in our conference room. The conference room includes a snack room. Which was magically stocked with chips, pretzels, chocolate, sodas, juices, coffee and tea.

When we adjourned for the night, some of us spent time getting to know each other. So many of these grad students have lived such interesting lives! I was mostly talking with the 'well traveled' bunch, and listening to their favorite places they'd gone (like Rome. Beijing. Nanjing. Turkey. Budapest. countries that I didn't even know existed). While they talked, I was knitting. On Kolsva. The funniest thing? These people... all in school for a master's or PhD... gasp and say "wow! what are you making?" "are you KNITTING?" "wow!" "wow! I could never knit!"

C'mon folks. Some of them can make an atomic bomb, but they think they can't knit? I was greatly amused.

Ok. time for bed. The week starts all over again tomorrow. I hate that.

ps. no pics b/c the batteries are dead. oops.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

isn't it funny how people are in awe of knitting. i don't know if i should just let them be impressed now. "oh yes, it's very difficult."

glad you had a good weekedn.

2/19/07, 5:23 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a nice and very luxurious break! Anything that allows you to not study and be guilt-free - excellent. :)

2/19/07, 6:04 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend; something different to spice things up a bit :)

Too funny that they were in awe of your knitting. Sometimes I forget that there are people out there who not only don't knit but are never around knitters(imagine that?!)

2/19/07, 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, crab. Sounds like fun and a much needed respite! LOL about the knitting. It's amazing how much patience and skill people who don't knit seem to think it takes TO knit. Ha.

2/19/07, 2:40 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

That sounds like fun. Plus a nice way to get to know some other grad students. I'm also in awe that your school goes to that much expense for you guys!

I'll never get over how amazed people are by knitting.

2/19/07, 9:45 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

First off, you're definitely not crazy. Because if you are then I am too and I'm not trying to take that rap today, maybe tomorrow, but not today. The retreat sounds wonderful. It was probably just the break that you needed and it was good to meet other students not necessarily in your major, but to meet more people. I'm still contemplating grad school, but definitely have got to get the bachelor's done first. I'm very excited to think about grad school as a viable possibility now.
I rode Light Rail yesterday to school and worked on a sock and a fellow passenger was in awe of the sock and that I was knitting on dpns, as well as a classmate. It was so funny to me.

2/21/07, 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home