"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Limited Resources: Please help.

You'd think I could figure this out by myself, but I can't. I'm stuck. I recently cast on for the Noro Kolsva (aka Cowl), and after getting a few tips from Jeni and Michelle, I knew that I wanted to make the sweater a bit longer than what the pattern suggests. I happily cast on with my Kochoron (color #10...mostly grey with bits of lime and denim color thrown in... I love it!) and knit up the back. (it's knit bottom up)

As I cast on for the front, it hits me. Snap. I didn't really consider how and where I added extra length when I knit up the back! I followed the shaping directions, then added a couple inches to the garment by knitting longer. (Basically, you decrease a bit over the first 20 rows, knit plain for a few inches, then increase again over 20 rows. Then knit plain until garment reaches armholes).

I wish I knew how to add in some graphics. As I started knitting the front of the sweater though, I thought... hmmm. Maybe I should have knit plain for longer at the bottom, THEN done the shaping. Does that make sense? What do you all think? Should I knit the front the way I THINK it should be knit and redo the back? or should I just keep going?

Please help this poor student who has no brain cells left over to rub together to figure out her knitting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the shaping is going to hug the waist and bust, you'd almost have to have the length at the bottom. Right?

The back might have less shaping or be more easy to fudge - I finish the front and then pin to see if I had to re-do the back.

Help at all?

2/9/07, 10:22 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Carrie's right - unless your bosoms are hanging low, you want to add the length below the shaping...

2/9/07, 11:07 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Is the shaping the same front and back? Could you lay the back piece out and approximate where you need to start shaping on the front?

When I make socks, I lay the first sock out so that I can lay the second one over it to approximate where to do the decreases, the heel, etc.

Good luck :)

2/9/07, 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it depends on where you want the length. Do you want it from your waist down, so it sits more over your hips? or are you long-waisted (or whatever the official term is) and you need more length between your hipbones & your ribcage? If it's (a), you need to reknit the back (I think that's what you said; my brain cells aren't that plentiful either), but if it's (b) you sound golden.

2/9/07, 11:57 AM  
Blogger celia said...

If you add the length anywhere aside from at the bottom, you'll be changing the proportions - i.e. if you add it between waist and bust shaping, the decreases for the waist will be lower and may not fit unless you have a long torso.

2/9/07, 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so something I would do. :) If in the same predicament I would knit the front the way I thought I should have done the back and then pin it together to see if redoing the back is necessary. You may be just fine.

2/12/07, 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get yourself over here and let me take a look at it!

2/12/07, 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home