"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Setting a new standard

I'd apologize for the lack of pictures and posting, but honestly, it's not going to change anytime soon. I have no idea when the new laptop will be arriving, and the camera is dead.

I hope everyone is enjoying the New Year. I hope that 2007 is a relatively calm and peaceful one for me, as I had enough life changes in 2006. My new year's resolutions... nothing too fantastical, but difficult nonetheless. I want to have a better attitude about being in Boston. I want to knit more... and use stash more... and finish more (oops... I said that the resolutions weren't fantastical, didn't i?). The plan is to knit at least one project from stash before I'm allowed to buy yarn for another project. Seeing as I have a healthy project list that I"m excited about...

1) Noro Kolsva using Noro Kochoron
2) Noro Klaralund using Kuryeon in color #32? #34? (the purple and green one)
3) Starsky using Malabrigo in Azul Profundo
4) Hourglass using Cash Iroha
5) the Touch Me scarf from Scarfstyle
6) a sweater using Rowan Calmer
7) socks (using cherry tree hill and STR)

My hope is that I can either slow the growth of my stash or keep it at the same weight (I'll consider it successful if I've either maintained or lost yardage).

The biggest goal I have for myself is to be a better student. I was NOT a great student in undergrad. Going to classes that I wasn't interested in was not my strong suit. In my master's program, I went to almost all my classes (I think I skipped maybe 2 classes the entire 3 yrs), and did at least... um... 50-60% of the readings assigned. I'm hoping that for this doctoral program, that I continue to improve on my academic studies by being a more thorough student.

Oh. Hey. Wow. I just realized how apt the title of this post is for this post. I didn't intend for my title to really relate to New Year's resolutions, but I guess it does, huh?

The title actually refers to my secret trip that I just got back from. Tiffany needed help at the store while her mom went to go visit her brother's family. So... she flew me out to Denver so I could help at the store AND see my friends. I can't decide if she's got the best customer service EVER, or if I just made the longest commute for someone who works at an LYS. We managed to keep the trip a secret from everyone, including Michelle, Stacey, and Jeni. We all got together for drinks and snacks on Saturday night, and I got to hang out with most all my Denver knitting grrlz! It was so much fun to be able to spend time and knit with Wanda, Kim, Joanne and Nachaele.

I'm busily knitting away on clapotis redux x2 (one for the shop, one for me) and some baby gifts. Two more friends have announced that they're expecting. I'm thinking baby booties and hats.

The biggest news? Guess who had her bambino!!! Celia had her baby on 1/2/2007. She's already posted about it, so go congratulate her! (she even posted a pic of the baby!)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

welcome back!

1/8/07, 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see you again. I really wished that I could have spent more time with you. Hope life in Boston gets better. Good luck with all your goals!

1/8/07, 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best customer service ever AND longest commute! Sounds like you had a good time.

Great resolutions both student wise and yarn wise. Yarn wise, pound foolish? Hmm. Doesn't really hold. Oh well.

Happy new year!

1/8/07, 3:42 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

Happy New Year!

I feel the same about last semester my performance wasn't the greatest. I love classes but according to Super my life roles pulled me in too many directions and thus....Anyways, that was so nice you could visit your Denver crew.

1/8/07, 4:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a great secret!! I'm glad you got to go to Denver over the holiday - especially after everything that you've been through!

1/8/07, 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sad that was the weekend I had to choose to go to Seattle. Well, maybe next time Tiffany flies you out... ;)

Welcome to grad school hell. Did I ever mention to you that you have to be a masochist to get through a Ph.D.???

1/8/07, 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll tell you, it took me at least two years to start feeling comfortable in Boston, and it wasn't until I started dating Mike. Because he grew up in New England, his viewpoint helped me to reframe my reactions to the things people said/did here that I thought were rude. They WERE rude by California standards, but by New England standards? Not so much.

I'm glad you're back, though!

1/9/07, 5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you. The new years list looks do-able. I really like the idea of knit one buy one. I've got two down now right... of course I've brought home two projects worth of yarn too. I may steal this idea, as long as there isn't any rule about knitting a hat doesn't mean I can buy yarn for a sweater... Hahahaha.
Take care!!

1/9/07, 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was sooo good to see you. What a great surprise! Come back again soon, and good luck with your goals for '07.

1/14/07, 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home