"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Triple X

I've got a lot to say about knitting today! I found the secret trick is to not post in forever about any knitting, then it seems like I've been productive when I finally have some stuff. I've even got the official stamp of approval


In order of finishing:

1) the wimple: I used this pattern which was the most appealing IMMEDIATELY accessible pattern I could find. I wanted to try the flared lace smoke ring that has been talked about, but the pattern can't be downloaded. Bummer. If I was interested enough, I'd shop around for a different bind off to make it stretchier, but it fits over my head, and the cast on side is VERY stretchy. I wanted to use the alpaca for the wimple b/c I wanted something warm, but not bulky surrounding my head. As some people know, I've got a big ol head. Nobody ever believes me until I put a hat on for them, but please trust. I'm Asian. I'm only 5'3. I have a BIG head.



Pattern: Wavy Feathers Wimple
Needles: US6 circs, INOX
Yarn: Lonesome Stone 100% alpaca, River Runs To It, fingering weight, about 300 yds?
Time: 1/26/07-2/2/07 (I finished in one weekend, but the weaving in of ends...)




2) The clapotis: same yarn as the wimple. I fell in love with this color at the shop. even though it's only fingering weight, it's 100% alpaca, so here's my winter weight clapotis.



Pattern: the ubiquitous clapotis by knitty.com and Kate Gilbert
Yarn: lonesome stone 100%alpaca (see above)
Needles: US3s, addi turbos
Time: forever and ever. (11/17/06-2/2/07)
Pattern changes: I added 2 increase sections and countless straight sections. Obviously, i had to do more decrease sections as well.












3)The Robin Hood Jacket!! Yay!! I'm SO excited about this one b/c it is freakin' adorable as all get out.




Pattern: Robin Hood Jacket in Zoe Mellor's Adorable Knits for Tots
Yarn: DB merino chunky (about 13-14 balls) Yarn originally for me, but chunky on chunky is not flattering. I love the color and it'll look smashing on LRHM (little red headed monster).
Size: Biggest one written... (4 yo?)
Time: Forever and ever. I have no idea when I cast on. It's a super quick knit though. I knit most of it in October and November 2006.
Needles: US10.5 and US11s, addi turbos.
(note: never ever use DB yarn again. All those freakin ends!)

It's VERY satisfying to have all of these done. I have one more NEED TO FINISH ASAP knit, but that became less urgent when the Bookish Baby decided to arrive the day before the baby shower. If you didn't already know, go welcome the Bookish Baby to the Bookish Family!!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

Well done! The Clap is very pretty. Love the colours.

2/4/07, 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The clapotis and the wimple are a great pair! That Robin Hood jacket is adorable.

I hadn't heard about the Bookish Baby! Thanks.

2/4/07, 6:56 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, so productive!! Go, you. :) That is an amazingly cute sweater. And the alpaca wimple and clapotis sound very warm and yummy.

2/4/07, 9:38 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Ooh, I really like that wimple. So pretty. I forgot that you were doing that one. You did a great job finishing up your Clapotis. I didn't realize you were knitting it on 3s!! That would take awhile, but the alpaca will be very warm and if it weren't any heavier, it would be too warm. Oh the LRHM will be so cute in the jacket too. Great job on everything. I might have to make the wimple with some of the loads of laceweight I have.

2/4/07, 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most excellent!! Everything looks great. I love the colors (go figure) of your new clapotis. And I know you are happy to have that little jacket finished.

2/5/07, 10:19 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

wow. lots of stuff to show. and all excellently done. so does that mean you won't post about knitting for another 6 months ;)

big head here too by the way.

2/5/07, 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... have you ever been productive. Everything looks gorgeous, too!

Miss you!

2/5/07, 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Robin Hood Jacket is so cute!! Ben would look so adorable in that. I may just have to get that book and give it a try. :)

2/5/07, 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many pretty pictures! You are just a finishing fiend. :-)

2/6/07, 8:59 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

look at all the knits! your getting them doen quick! i love that cowl, and the model is adorable ;) the robin hood jacket is too cute! love those cables!

2/7/07, 7:22 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Wow, everything looks fabulous! You go, girl!

2/7/07, 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home