"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

And here we have a failure to communicate...

leading to not just lack of progress, but hindering any sort of progress I might've made. My indecently short attention span has lead to the unfortunate circumstance of needing to rip back on two of my projects... the katia tank AND the second toasty toes sock.

Mistake #1
Not counting rows before crossing the middle stitches to create a cable effect. I was on my third repeat and figured I could 'eye' it. Guess my 'eye' needs a check up. I had to rip that sucker back about 8 rows. (for a net loss of -4 rows).

Mistake #2
The sock was about an inch and a half shorter than the first sock. Which means it didn't fit. Stacey and Cathi were very sympathetic about my plight (after they got done laughing). I had done the kitchener stitch and everything, and was so proud of myself for finishing my first pair of socks. Where did I go wrong? I made consecutive decrease rows instead of alternating a decrease row with an even row. Doh!

Yes, I know. Pics of my FUPs (Fucked Up Project) would've been highly entertaining for you... but I ripped em both before I took any pics.

The good news: I've successfully ripped and put stitches back on for both projects. The sock is about 4 rows from being finished, and the tank is back on track.

A friend from North Carolina is visiting me now, and we've been having a blast! Her first full day, we spent in CO Springs, where she received her second bachelor's degree. We visited a lot of her old haunts. The next day, we went shopping for yarn, where we bought some very nice stuff. She bought handpainted brown sheep-

handpainted


I bought enough Cascade Yarns Pearls in blue for a tank from Hot Knits.

blue pearl



Then, I made the mistake of going to both Target AND the Container Store. I found lots of stuff I wasn't aware that I needed at both stores. Some nice faux leather bins from Target (in which to hide some of the stash), and some these magnetic boards to use in the kitchen with this paper towel holder, this hook rack, and this towel rack to help create more counter space in my teeny tiny kitchen.

We met up with Cathi and Stacey at Stella's for a wonderful night of knitting. Cathi worked on her Chickami tank, Stacey worked on her HP Gryffindor scarf, I screwed up my sock, and Dar worked on her crocheted block afghan. Of course we all got hungry, so off to Jerusalem's we went for some serious hummus, falafel, and pita... topped off with baklava for dessert. Wanda was supposed to be there, but had to pick up an early morning shift the next morning. She was missed.

Tomorrow, we'll hit up King's Land for dim sum, then head back over to S. Pearl to visit the Farmer's Market and LaTiDa (where I have a gift certificate which needs to be used).

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't you hate frogging. It always seems like when I'm having trouble with something I have to put it down for at least a day to finally figure it out. I really don't like frogging.

That cascade yarn loks really neat. I've never seen that before. I like the color too.

6/5/05, 1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be somthing in the air because I had to rip back the front left of my tedious man sweater yesterday because it was to long! I decreased every other row instead OF every row. That is when the drinking started.

I'm glad to hear that you are back on track.

Happy Knitting.

6/5/05, 6:51 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Ouch!! Those are tough mistakes!! (Though I'm glad that I can share the pain.) This just means you're becoming a better knitter, right, because better knitters always rip stuff. :) Have fun with the gift cert to La Ti Da!

6/5/05, 7:09 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

making me hungry! love the yummy eye candy there! i had to frog a lot of fup's too and it isn't any fun!!!!!! glad you had fun.. not a big fan of dim sum but my mother in law loves it!!!

6/6/05, 9:20 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I totally didn't laugh...I have never made a sock, so who am I to judge? And you know me, I'm all about post mortem fixes, meaning I would be up for foot shrinking or sock stretching instead of ripping.

Had fun on Friday, it was great to meet Dar and I can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

6/6/05, 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta start checking my email more often. Sounds like Stella's was fun. Don't worry about the sock. I think everyone does that. Hope to see you soon!

6/6/05, 12:27 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

Um, you coulda picked me up some skeins. :D

6/6/05, 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm such a jerk! It's so not encouraging to be laughed at...bad Stacey! I'm glad that you've already fixed it though, you rock Cynthia!

6/7/05, 7:51 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I bet you fixed it by now and have finished the sock. You are hooked on sock knitting, girlfriend! Adn we all make mistakes on socks and our knitting, don't worry about it. Sorry I missed you guys. Hope to see you Thursday. I love the Cascade Pearls, that is nice yarn. I think you will like it. And handpaint is always a good thing. Love the color too!

6/7/05, 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home