"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

In for a penny, in for a pound

Like I said before, my friend wanted a chocolate cake for her birthday, and she got it!



Now, if you're comparing my cake to the one from Pastrywhiz, you can stop reading my blog.





I made it from scratch. The cake part (more like a brownie), the ganache, the mousse, the chocolate ribbon surrounding the cake. The only part I did not make by scratch is the raspberry jam. And I did not grow the fruit myself. My arms are killing me. Needless (and needle less) to say, i did not knit last night. I was covered from fingertip to elbows in chocolate.

My friend thoroughly enjoyed the cake. As did I, so I get to keep my Righteous Woman's Union Card. The finished product was HEAVY. I would guess it weighed in at about 15 lbs. I used between 3-4 lbs of chocolate for this one! I brought home a bit of it to share with my knitting crew, so they can weigh in their opinions later. I'm thoroughly impressed with myself right now, as I didn't really think I would be able to pull this sucker off.

Go see how Cathi lovingly referred to her progeny. I'll trade her one of her BWB's for one of these...


a floor cleaning model! I suppose I can't trade away my friend's kid, huh?

While we're on the topic of trading... has anyone else seen this game? You can win stuff. Like Jimmy Choos. Nuff said.

I'm hoping to have some knitting progress to blog about soon. Going over to Stacey's tomorrow evening for a tutorial on sock knitting and to watch the ER. The weekend is busy, since I have a wedding, hot yoga, and a floor cleaning bitch's friend's kid's birthday celebration to attend. His mom gets cake, he gets duplos.

12 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

The cake looks absolutely delicious. Any chance of getting the recipe?

5/19/05, 3:28 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

What a great friend!! That cake looks awesome!

5/19/05, 7:29 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I am SO not worthy of you and your cooking skills. a CHOCOLATE RIBBON AROUND A CAKE! you over-achievers are making us microwavers look horrible.

By the way, you're my new best friend. Um, NOW can a sista get a cake to honor this new friendship?

5/19/05, 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. That is a beautiful cake. Look at that fruit! and ganache! and chocolate ribbon! I'm with Marina -- please, please, please post the recipe!

5/19/05, 9:49 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Forget the recipe, you wanna just make me one? {VBG} My birthday is in August, so you've got plenty o' time to rest up. But the recipe would be good too. Was it hard to make? And what a great friend you are. I'm sure your friend enjoyed and appreciated it.

5/19/05, 11:24 AM  
Blogger goblinbox said...

That cake is GORGEOUS!

5/19/05, 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bow down (and drool) to your cake baking, culinary skills!!!

5/19/05, 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Now I'm really bummed I can't make it tonight. What a great job on that cake!

5/19/05, 2:14 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, that's amazing! I guess that if you have to be needle-less, then you want to be up to your elbows in chocolate! :) Yummmmy.

5/19/05, 2:47 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

So amazing. I'm sad that I didn't get to try any!

5/20/05, 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oH YUMMY! Wanna make me one? =0)

5/20/05, 11:39 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

OMG i think i went into sugar shock just looking at that wonderful display of fine chocolate!!!!!! it is a shame we don't live closer ton one another:)

5/21/05, 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home