"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Something out of Nothing

I know I promised a pic of some beautiful lace. I got impatient (who, me?) and started the edging already. Starting the edging means that I picked up stitches around the entire stole, and the thing looks like a big blob. Hence... no piccies.

I was told by someone that I needed to post. I said "but I've already posted this month!" That's sad. Sad sad sad. She gave me some ideas of quick and easy posts, but it looks like I won't need to start using her ideas until the next post.

Why?

Let's see.

12:05am ET (I never know if we're in standard time or daylight savings): ring ring ring. I see that it's my brother. Not worried, b/c we are a family of night owls. Still. Hmmm...

me: what's up?
Tony: Would you please call mom and dad?
me: huh?
Tony: they're freaking out because they've been calling you and they get a busy signal.
me: huh? (i've been sitting at home, knitting, watching some tennis, and catching up on my TiVo)
Tony: I know it's late, but I don't even care. Would you please call them?
me: What time did they call you?
Tony: I dunno. Maybe 10:30 or something. Just call them.
me: um. ok.

E.T. phone home.

me: Dad... were you looking for me?
Dad: YES! We called your cell phone over and over and it kept ringing busy. What's going on?
me: maybe you broke it by calling too much? (yes, i actually said that)
Dad: Nonsense. Why would your cell phone be busy? It's never done that before!
me: you're asking me, who am I supposed to ask?****
Dad: Hunh. Well... ok. You should put some money into your IRA account.
me: Okay (I knew these counselor skills would pay off... I was knitting. Best to just nod and agree)
Dad: Call A.H. and tell him how much you want to put in.
me: uh-huh (still knitting)
Dad: Because it's all before taxes, and since you make such little money, it's good to do it now (wha? this statement made no sense to me. if putting money into your IRA is pre-tax, then why does it matter what tax bracket I'm in right now? eh?)
me: Okay Dad. I'll do that (still knitting)
Dad: How are your applications? Are some of the places you are applying to hospital sites?
me: SIGH. Yes, Dad.
Dad: will they pay you?
me: probably not Dad.
Dad: well, that's ok. It's about the training, right? So pick a good hospital.
me: (eyes rolling) uh huh.
Dad: ok. bye.
me: bye Dad.

I get back onto the computer and my email, and look what I found:

Cyn-Cyn: what happened to your cell phone? We are worried. Please call or reply by e-mail. Daddy.


subject of email: How to contact you beside your cell phone?

it is moments like these that make me want to find someone to marry. I think my parents would worry less. Then they could bug my husband if they can't find me. I know that the 'worry' is actually 'love' but it can be difficult to remember that sometimes. Sometimes, I just think they're neurotic. I bet if I still lived in Michigan, and they couldn't find me, they would've just driven down to find me. Oy.

****That's the literal translation from Chinese. It actually means something along the lines of "how am I supposed to know?" or "why are you asking me?"

ps. The reason why I only have a cell phone is because of my parents. Yes, it is also more economical for me to only pay for a cell phone, esp. since my internet is no longer through a phone line. Back in Denver, I had a land line for a few years, and got annoyed b/c the parents would call it to check if I was home. Over and over and over on the same night.

pps. Post posting and editing got me to thinking about the fact that sometimes I still feel like a teenager. Maybe that's why I enjoy working with them so much... b/c I can identify with them.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger WandaWoman said...

I love reading about your interactions with your parents. They are always too funny.

1/25/08, 11:53 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I just love it when you tell stories about your parents! So funny!

1/25/08, 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are laughing about this too right? For the love of parents!

1/26/08, 12:08 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

your stories are funny and i know your parents behave that way out of love, but it's still irritating.

1/26/08, 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know your parents are doing it out of love......but is it also possible they're trying to make you crazy? :) Your parent stories crack me up. Imagine if it was pre cell phone days.....

1/26/08, 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!!! This is a GREAT start. Looking for to your pics, commentary or not. T

1/26/08, 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he didn't instant message you too. ;)

1/28/08, 1:49 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Thanks for the laugh! My parents will call my cell phone, house, phone and my husband's cell phone repeatedly. Can't they leave a message?!

1/30/08, 11:56 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Have you thought about publishing a blog of just family dialog?
re: finding some to marry, I wonder if you parent's would hand over, so to speak, these care-giving duties to whomever you marry?

1/30/08, 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm my parents' only daughter and i too still feel like a kid sometimes, too! but i try not to let it bug me because i know that there will come a day when i wish they could ring my phone over and over. not that they do that a lot but, well you get what i'm saying.

~mz

1/31/08, 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me... you'll always be a kid in your parents eyes. I feel like that whenever I go home and I haven't been a kid in a very long time. The husband doesn't necessarily help, either!

You should apply to University Hospital here. Just saying..... !!

2/11/08, 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halleluja! My parents are exactly the same. I live about 1000 kilometres from my parents.(happy for that- in a way) I'm 30 years old and leaving for Paris, France over the weekend. On Monday morning, dad starts to call saying; Don't forget your passport! In the late afternoon Mom calls: Do you have the tickets?
And then they take turns calling me twice a day during the week to check if I have enough money, if I am insured properly, if I need for them to send me a map of Paris and so on and so on. It is nice to hear that someone else has it equally bad. But it's nice to know they care, though...

2/27/08, 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home