"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, September 03, 2007

EZ? Yes. Intuitive? No.

I've finally knit my first Elizabeth Zimmerman garment. The baby surplice jacket is a cute variation on the ever popular baby surprise jacket... but since I had the pattern for the surplice, surplice it was.

At first, I thought maybe I am crazy or tetched in the head. I am NOT loving the pattern. I kept going, thinking, everyone else has made one of these, I can do it too. Plus, I excused EZ from any wrongdoing, since the pattern was dug up from her archives or something and re-written by someone at Vogue. I have to say that it took some faith to continue knitting past the increases, b/c I could not figure out the construction of this thing. No idea. No clue. Just... a leap of faith.

OH! OH LOOK! it says I just need to seam now? (but it seems like I'm in the middle of the garment? what?

I've only knit a few rows (maybe 5-6) since the last time I took pictures but I'm done! And amazed at the simplicity and genius of the design. Wanna see?



I love it. Can't wait to gift it. I'm knitting crumpets, plan on at least one pair of booties, and maybe I'll crochet a small car blanket. We'll see.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Cute!! I got so confused trying to knit a baby surprise that I gave up on it. Hmm, I have about 5 more years of knitting experience now - probably I could handle it.

9/3/07, 9:13 PM  
Blogger celia said...

oh so cute.. if it weren't so girly I'd be making one for alex. seems just a tad cruel to dress him in one of these

9/4/07, 5:49 AM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

It looks nice. I have heard it is confusing in the middle but then like origami it just makes sense.

Man, I do start class this week, why did you remind me, wah!

9/4/07, 2:49 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Perhaps not intuitive, but done yes. It's so cute! Paper all "done" now, yes?

9/4/07, 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so cute! Faith personified, eh?

9/4/07, 8:31 PM  
Blogger Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

So cute! :)

9/5/07, 9:54 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

I have been wanting to knit one, but my knitting list for my baby is getting way too long. Did it take long?

You did a great job on it. It's very cute!

9/5/07, 9:54 AM  
Blogger JenniferB said...

that's adorable! You should post it to Zimmermania
http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/

9/5/07, 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, my e-mail is My_moosi_fate@yahoo.com

in the entry "EZ? Yes. Intuitive? No." You have posted a sweater for a baby. It is ABSOLUTELY fabulous!

Is it a free pattern? If it is a buy pattern, where did you get it.

I just love it!

Thank you,
Elysha

9/9/07, 2:57 PM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

yea I'm gearing up to do my first EZ garment too...I just got the Knitting Alamanac.....Pi R Squared anyone?

9/10/07, 8:33 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

It is cute. I keep looking at the photo as a reminder that I have baby knitting I can do. I'm intrigued by your description of the process.

I hope your semester isn't killing you.

9/18/07, 5:36 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

very cute! like the model too ;) glad you fell in love with it after it was put together... no one likes to knit something crappy ;)

10/9/07, 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/27/07, 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really cute!

11/5/07, 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home