"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Unexpected radio silence

I know most of you are used to me not blogging with any regularity or frequency, but I swear, this time it was NOT MY FAULT.


RIP Dell Latitude D620 #2. 1/16/07-8/4/2007

My hard drive crashed and burned. Apparently, I leave my computer on too long. Hmph.
what's this you ask? here's a snippet of my convo with the computer geeks (I do not use the term geek pejoratively... I like geeks. I am a geek... just not a computer geek)


Me: Any idea what might have caused this?
Geek 1: Do you carry your laptop around while it's still on?
Me: no, I always shut down
Geek 2: What about on standby, do you carry it around on standby?
Me: NO, i turn it all the way off. i shut it down before I carry it anywhere.
Geek 2: oh. Well. how long do you leave your computer on for? at a time?
Me: (silence....) Um... I turn it on when I get up, and turn it off when i go to bed?
Geek 1: Oh.
Geek 2: Oh. um. These laptops are kind of fragile. You probably burned your hard drive.
Me: <-- puzzled look on face? wha?
Geek 2: You should only have your laptop on for 7 hours max, then turn it off for 30min to an hour to let it cool off.
Me: Oh. Okay. (thinking... did they write this in the instruction manual? I mean, dang. who knew?)

When i took a closer look at my computer later, I saw this...



probably not a good sign. I think I have some sort of aura that tells technology to hate me. My first laptop died on the move out here (fine fine, it was 2-3 yrs old), the second got stolen from my apartment, and then the hard drive on the second died. As far as I can discern, the hard drive IS the computer. All the important bits anyway. So, all my pictures are gone gone gone. Sniff.


The day after I found out my computer's hard drive needed replacing, I was futzing around on my desktop, trying to get it connected to the internets, when I glanced over at my alarm clock. 12:00. Eh? It's 5:48pm! Wha? Ra-row. I unplug the clock, plug it back in, try shaking it, tapping it (smacking it with my hand). Nada. It's stuck on 12:00. Effers.

However, I have been extraordinarily productive in the fiber world over the last few days. I finished the fifth section of babette, and have been seaming the pieces together as I go (thanks to advice from Maryse. I've managed to get up to the increase section of Hourglass, and start the heel on my sandal sock.

Babette:
"zzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... eh? wha?"

"damn. what's a guy gotta do for some shut eye here? SHEESH!"

Here's everything I've got seamed together. I'm working on section VI.



I told Stacey that there was a square that was BRIGHT, but that I liked it. I think the brown edging really helps tone it down though (but I still like it)





I have found that I left my Hourglass in the car, so you get a pic of Madli. She's minus 1 border right now.



Here we have the sandal socks. I have the finished one here too, as proof that i'm not just recycling old pics (b/c I wouldn't put it past me)

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Oiyi said...

We leave our laptop on all the time, and it's in sleep mode while we sleep and we never had a problem. I swear these thing are being made cheaper and cheaper so that it breaks down easier.

8/9/07, 9:50 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

ugh. sorry about the laptop. i have to agree with oiyi though. they don't make anything that lasts anymore.

the babette looks awesome by the way. i love it! is it all cottonease?

8/10/07, 7:05 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heat is the #1 cause of laptop death. You can help your laptop out a lot by buying a laptop cooling system of some sort - since you seems to have bad luck, I'd suggest one that has fans (active cooling). Also, maybe pick up an external hard drive for backing up your laptop... buy.com usually has some for great prices.

Awww - cute kitty pictures! What's not to love about kitties on knitting, eh?!

8/10/07, 7:20 AM  
Blogger Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I'm sorry about your laptop; that totally sucks!

Babette looks great! And your cat sleeping on it looks so adorable :)

8/10/07, 9:59 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

What a cute kitty! I get that look in the second kitty pic from Jesse all the time! It's the "why are you bothering my sleepy time" look. I am loving the Babette!

8/10/07, 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My labmate just had the exact same problem. And yeah, that's the stupidest reason ever; it's like they leave it out of the instruction manual on purpose.

But the socks look nice. And so does the rest of the knitting.
Are you getting any relaxation done before the semester starts?

8/10/07, 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad about your laptop and your pix! Your cat sleeping on Babette is the cutest.

8/10/07, 12:24 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

That's so bogus about your laptop. I leave mine on all the time. I should check into my manual to see if my laptop has some warnings about being on all day. Hmmph! I'm sorry about missing all of your data. That makes me think it's time to start backing up my computer.

Babette looks great! And I still love those sandal socks. You're getting close to finishing them, yay!

8/12/07, 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks about your computer! I've never heard that business about 7 hours max. Sounds a bit bogus to me though the logic works (they do get pretty hot). Babbette looks awesome! I haven't started mine just yet but plan to in the near future. Having Tom home every evening is really cramping my knitting time. He keeps making plans.
The sock looks really nice too.

8/13/07, 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home