"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Shoulds

I *should* be reading Harry Potter in anticipation of watching the new movie tomorrow afternoon, and then spending the night with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, and Snape. Probably will be spending most of Sunday in bed with them too (I love waking up, not having anywhere to go, and just reading and snuggling with the furbabies).

But I got a bit of knitting mojo back, which is probably b/c I'm under deadline. I've been working on Reid for a professor from my master's program... um. FOR HER BABY, I mean. This professor is the reason I'm in a doc program, she's been a great mentor and important in shaping me into who I am today. While I was her teaching assistant for about a year, she was going through fertility issues, trying to get and stay pregnant. She had given up, decided she couldn't keep putting her body through the drugs... when she ended up pregnant! I crocheted her a baby blanket before I left Denver, but I wanted to make her baby girl something to wear too. (I'll try to post pics of the FO when it's, well. Finished.) I'm done with the back and two fronts, and will cast on for the 2 sleeves after I'm done reading the BOOK.

It had occurred to me that I haven't written about my parents in awhile. Lest you think that they have disappeared, or somehow gotten the hint that I am a FULL GROWN ADULT...

preface: My brother (older than me by 2-3 yrs) just got a new job. Work is a little slow, so he's kinda bored. Men in my family do NOT tolerate boredom well. They become very irritating and annoying. He's been IMing me (why o why did I introduce him to the joy of google chat?) and asking questions like... so, when are you going to be done with your degree? what are you going to do afterwards? Grrr.... These online convos took place about a week or so ago.

a few days after that...

phone: ring ring ring

Me: hello?
Dad: (in Mandarin): CynCyn-a. This is your Dad. (uhh... why the identifier? Do other people's parents do this when they call them? I mean, how many men does my dad think call me and speak to me in Mandarin?)

Me: Hi Dad. What's up?
Dad: What have you been doing?
Me: Working on research for my professors...
Dad: Oh. So, is this research for your dissertation? Is that what this research is for?
Me: Uhm no Dad...
Dad: so, this work is just for them? You don't get anything out of it?
Me: well, I get published, and the experience...
Dad: Why can't it be part of your dissertation? Haven't you started writing it yet?

Background info: My dad (according to my mom) worked on a PhD while he was studying for the medical licensing board exams here in the States. He did research. Lots of it. He started writing a dissertation but didn't finish b/c (i'm guessing) he got his medical license and was accepted to a residency program. Basically, I'm saying that the process of dissertation shouldn't be THAT foreign to him.

Me: Dad... I JUST finished my first year!! We don't even start thinking about a TOPIC for our dissertation until third year.

Dad: Oh. Really? How long is this program going to take?
Me: (sigh). At least 5 years Dad. Probably six years...
Dad: SIIIGGGGH. Really? Hmph.

Boy o boy! I sure am looking forward to year 5 or year 6!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

leave it to dads to keep you motivated - lol.

7/21/07, 1:40 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

LOL! Way to go, Dad! Hee hee. Happy movie watching and reading. I fear I'll have to go dark to avoid spoilers... I'm #108 on the library list for the audiobook...

7/21/07, 8:37 AM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

Um, my folks don't introduce themselves, but everytime I call my dad he criticizes how I say hello. I have no idea how to greet him because whatever I say he thinks is wrong.

7/21/07, 4:20 PM  
Blogger celia said...

My dad introduces himself too. An Asian thing, perhaps? He says something along the lines of, "hello...Celia? Can you hear me? Oh.. oh.. this is Pa"

As to the other thing about nagging you about your dissertation, I can definitely relate to that. There's a 3 month break between semesters in summer and my mum was asking me whether I had started my business project for the upcoming semester yet. I was on maternity leave at the time! I must have had nothing better to do.. after all, a newborn baby doesn't need much attention.. NOT! :p

7/21/07, 4:37 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Your interactions with your dad are so funny. I don't know why he introduces himself, as if you didn't know. Why is your brother & your father bugging you about the length of your PhD program

7/23/07, 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad does that too. He starts with "This is Frank, your Dad, ..." How many Franks does he think I know? Not only how many Franks, but Franks calling from a Florida number that pops up on my cell as "Dad". Silly, silly, silly.

8/1/07, 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home