"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mystery Stole - un- along

I thought I could live in denial for a bit. I really did. I had cast on for MS#3 with my skaska yarn, US5s. I ripped it, and used US4s. Ripped it, and used US3s. I'm not a loose knitter at all... so I told myself "this is lace, lace ALWAYS looks like crap until you block it... maybe the yarn will... bloom... when you block it! yeah, that's it, it'll bloom!"



I was able to be in denial... up until I got a few rows into clue #2, and my friends started pointing out blogs with pics of completed clue #1. CRAP. I just can't stay in denial, much as I love it there. I even thought to self, "well, maybe it looks like crap, but it'll look better once it's blocked... and really, even if it's not that pretty, you don't WEAR lace anyway, so... it's ok."

No. I couldn't live with it. I had an online convo with Wanda, who is always good for an honest (even if it hurts) opinion. RIP-PIT all out. Then I couldn't figure out what yarn to use... most of my stashed lace weight yarn is variegated, and my sock yarn collections is only intended for socks (meaning, i only buy enough to make a pair of socks). SO NOW WHAT? Celia to the rescue!!! She had sent me, in one of our international exchanges, some beautiful bright blue laceweight yarn. She had suggested that I pair it with another yarn to tone it down. Which is what I did. It was quite painful (there were many many knots in my skasa yarn). it involved much cutting and spit joining and cursing and waving away the too interested cats. I have yarn burn on my left hand (which guided the two yarns... one from ball, one from swift). But I think it was worth it.



Two steps forward, one step back, they say. Well, i feel like I've been taking one step forward, 2 steps back. I hope that trend is at an end.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new blue yarn looks great! I think you will be happier with it! :)

Miss ya!!

7/12/07, 8:23 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

((hugs))for having to rip it all out-I feel your pain! I have to say I really like the look of what you're doing now :) Here's to no further problems.

I missed you at the HP movie release--maybe a bunch of us can go see it when you're here?

7/12/07, 9:39 AM  
Blogger Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

What a bummer that you had so many problems with the other yarn! The blue yarn looks great, though! Good luck...I hope you don't have any more issues with the MS# :)

7/12/07, 9:43 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Well, the Skaska just wasn't working. I definitely like the new yarn you're using. It looks great. I think I am bowing out of MS though.

7/12/07, 10:15 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I think they look great together -- real depth of colour, and good stitch definition. No pain, no gain??

7/12/07, 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so nice! It really does look much better and it's going to be just gorgeous.

7/12/07, 11:44 AM  
Blogger Terby said...

The new combination of 2 yarns looks better, and I have to say that it seems very "you", at least from what I've seen you knit. Definitely worth the extra effort.

7/12/07, 2:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I REALLY like it now. Hard choice - but oh so worth it.

7/12/07, 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ripping was worth it... the blue stole looks gorgeous, and what a great color!

7/16/07, 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very pretty! I'm sorry you had to frog, but the end result looks well worth it.

7/22/07, 12:32 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

The blue is going to be really pretty. Sometimes the frog pond is necessary and what comes out afterward is so much better. Good luck with MS3's completion.

7/31/07, 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home