"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cat-o-centric

I know most pet people think that their lives revolve around their pets. Feeding them, getting them to potty, petting... catering to their every whim. Now, BEFORE the last couple of weeks, I would have said I was a good, but sort of negligent owner. I was happy to leave out the never ending buffet of kibble, scoop their litter box every day, and feed them stinky goodness at night. Being a grad student, our 'quality time' together consisted of me on the sofa with my laptop where a cat should be, and one cat sprawled out next to me (usually... it was Cosmo. He's perfectly happy to lay against my leg... you know... so long as he's touching the mommy. Of course, sometimes, the cat is better than the laptop.


Obviously, this pic was taken a few weeks ago.

He still is happy to let me use most of my lap.



For the next few weeks, my life is going to revolved around him. He's got an esophogeal tube (e-tube) in his neck, b/c he won't eat. See?



I have to feed him (using a syringe) 4 times per day. Between the feedings and the 8 medications he's on (most of which are administered through the e-tube). This procedure (of warming and mixing his food, preparing his medications, and then giving them to him) takes me about 5 hours per day. For breakfast and dinner, it takes me longer b/c of the meds. At lunch and late night snack, it takes less time b/c all I have to do is the food. But that's ok. I'm so happy to have him home and doing better, that I'm thinking of all this time as our 'quality time.'

We went back to the vet on Friday for a check up. They drew blood, and his blood sugar is still high, but his bilirubin levels have come down considerably. When he was admitted on Monday,3/10, his bilirubin level was 4.0 (it should be around 0.1-0.3 or something). On that following Saturday (3/15), it had skyrocketed up to 16!! On Tuesday of coming home (3/18), it had dropped to 10. On Friday, it was 2.8. All signs point to his liver still actually functioning... What I need him to do now is to show that he can eat on his own. And for his toileting to improve (he gets in, but doesn't turn around. This positioning results in his pee going OUTSIDE of the box. Very unfortunate. Luckily, I went and purchased a bag of wee-wee pads. Invaluable.

KNITTING NEWS:
Here are some pics of print o the wave. There are kitty action shots (Danger... 'helping')

Here's a pic of a bigger section, where the stole is actually the focus of the picture.


And my sock in progress.



Pattern: Jaywalker by Grumperina, converted to toe up.
Yarn: Socks That Rock: Rare Gems
Needles: 2.5mm Addi Turbos, 100cm (magic loop)

I also have neglected to show off some Stash Acquisitions... from The Woolen Rabbit. I made the Print O The Wave from her laceweight, and about midway through, I was mourning the loss of this yarn in the stash. So... I bought more!


I bought 2 skeins of laceweight (in Raspberry and Thyme, and Blue Lagoon) and 2 skeins of superwash sock (in blue lagoon and some other purty color I can't remember right now).

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I am so, so glad that he's improving!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I'd notice if he and May were switching places these days... Good to say Danger in action, helping with the lovely stole. :)

3/23/08, 8:50 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I hope Cosmo continues to improve. He's worth the extra effort!

Love that Print O' The Wave stole, it looks gorgeous. Pretty stash acquisitions too.

3/23/08, 11:40 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

I hope Cosmo keeps feeling better. Clearly he's happy to be next to you.
Your knitting and the new stash additions are pretty - I like your taste.

My commenting skills are rusty today!

3/24/08, 6:01 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

I'm glad that Cosmo is feeling better. You are a very good kitty mommy and he's lucky to have you. I love your POTW! I started one once, but I lost it. It may show up while I sort my yarn for spring projects. Scritches to Cosmo and hugs to you.

3/24/08, 7:24 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Oh :( Poor kitty. Sending good wishes for both of you. He does look happy to be petted and has beautiful black fur!

3/24/08, 8:08 AM  
Blogger Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I'm glad Cosmo is continuing to improve! Hopefully he'll start eating by himself soon :)

Very pretty stole and yarn acquisitions!

3/24/08, 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, poor Cosmo! But home with Mommy should make him feel a whole lot better. And wow, that's a lot of care but hopefully he'll recover quickly. Poor baby. Both you. And Danger too.

3/24/08, 12:11 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

thank goodness he's getting better! That would worry me sick if it was one of mine. Sending good vibes your way...**vibevibevibe**

3/24/08, 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Cosmo is well enough to come home! I hope he continues to improve.

3/24/08, 5:20 PM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

I am glad Cosmo is improving and keep being diligent it will help him in the process. I always feel like I don't give enough attention because of school, but we do what we can.

3/24/08, 6:38 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Oh poor Cosmo must hate having that tube!! Give him a hug for me.

Your stole is coming along nicely.

3/24/08, 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor little dude. I'm so glad to hear he is doing better though. The Print o' the Wave looks fab!! Hope things keep on getting better.

3/25/08, 3:04 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

That picture of the tube just about broke my heart...poor guy...but you've got to do whatever it takes! I'm SO glad to hear that he is doing better!

Umm....those photos of the yarn...ummm...is that pink I see?! :)

3/25/08, 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your dear one is doing better. Here's hoping there's continued quick improvement!

3/25/08, 10:59 PM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

Just came over from Chris' blog -- I am so glad your Cosmo is home!!! I'm sure he'll get much better now that he's with you. ((hugs)) for him.

3/26/08, 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a good mom :-)

4/24/08, 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home