"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Father Knows Best??

So, I'm not sure if I've ever shared my journey of how I came to be in a doctoral program. While finishing up my master's (also in Counseling), a couple of the professors I had taken many classes with were encouraging me to apply to doc programs. I decided to apply to a handful that year (since I also had to study for the comprehensive exam, and boards, and well, graduate), and thought to myself, "If you don't get in, you can apply again next year!") Lo and behold, I was accepted to 2 of the 4 programs to which I applied.

What I didn't do, during all of this, was share the news with my parents. I told my brother about applying and said, "I don't think I'll tell Mom and Dad, b/c then they'll just ask me why I'm not applying to other types of programs."

Then, when I started getting interviews, I didn't tell them I was interviewing, and said to myself "You can tell Mom and Dad after you get some offers."

Then, after getting offers, we (my brother and I) decided it would be best to just tell them after the fact. Fait accompli, if you will.

The convo went like this:

Me: Hi Mom.
Mom: Cyn-Cyn-a. What's going on?
Me: Well, I just accepted an offer to attend a doctoral program.
Mom: What? A doctoral program? Studying what?
Me: Counseling psychology.
Mom: Where?
Me: Boston College.
Mom: How long will it take for you to finish?
Me: Five years
Mom: (I hear laughing in the background).. hands off phone to my Dad.
Dad: Cyn-Cyn-a. What's this?
Me: I got into a doctoral program for counseling psychology.
Dad: where?
Me: Boston College.
Dad: How long will it take you to get the degree?
Me: Five years.
Dad: Laughing... five years? By then, you could've been a DOCTOR!!!
Me: sigh

Over on Carrie's blog, I found the "What Should You Be?" quiz.




You Should Be a Doctor



You are practical, sharp, and very intuitive.

Optimistic and energetic, you are a problem solver who doesn't get discouraged easily.

You are also quite compassionate and caring. You make people feel hopeful.

You're highly adaptable and capable. You do well with almost any curve ball life throws at you.



You do best when you:



- Are always learning new subjects

- Use your knowledge to solve problems



You would also be a good therapist or detective.



BUT PLEASE NOTICE THERE AT THE BOTTOM: OR A THERAPIST! So there!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Or a detective. It's not too late! ;)

3/3/08, 6:18 PM  
Blogger michaele said...

what is the point of a doctoral program if not to become a doctor?

I keep waiting for my moment in a crisis when someone asks, "Is there a doctor on the plane?" And I can proudly say, "Why, yes there is!"

3/3/08, 9:25 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Now that is funny!

3/3/08, 10:10 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Haha, that's just too funny. Besides a PhD is still a doctor, just not a medical doctor!

3/3/08, 10:30 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

yes and then you'd have 1 year as an intern and 3 years of residency and then he'd be on your case about a fellowship .... see where i'm going?

i should take that quiz find out what i should be doing.

3/4/08, 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things are clear: one, you made the right move in presenting your career plans as a fait accompli, and two, your parents are married to each other for a reason. FWIW, I got social worker. Second choice: artist.

3/4/08, 5:50 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Sigh!!! Don't they know how horrible it is to laugh at your kids?!

My parents laughed at me when I was 7 yrs old and I told them I wanted to be a singer. It scarred me for life. Though it doesn't matter since I disappointed my parents by going to art school.

3/5/08, 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure your Dad didn't write that test? :)

3/6/08, 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love families. Who else can make you as crazy? I can't imagine why you didn't tell them right away.

3/6/08, 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you believe I picked the block that revealed "You Should Be A Social Worker"? I shit you not

4/25/08, 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home