"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Alert! Alert! We're at DEFCON 1

You are all going to think I'm a bad bad ungrateful daughter. My parents are fairly traditional Chinese parents which means, they still call me on a regular basis on weekend nights to make sure I'm safe at home. In college, they used to just drive down on a random Friday afternoon, make themselves at home in my apartment (yes, they had a key, don't ask). I would come home from class, and there they'd be. Dad watching my TV, my mom cleaning my kitchen. Just what I had planned for my Friday evenings (this helps explain why I was not a drinker in college).

Now, I love my parents. I know they love me, and want what's best for me. But, if you could die from parental smothering, I would've been a goner long ago. Which is why I've chosen CO as my home, while the rest of the family lives in Michigan.

I got a call earlier this week from my Dad...

D: "what are you doing from July 1st through the 7th?"

Me: Shit (yes, this is the first thought I had. bad bad ungrateful daughter). "Umm, gee Dad, I'm not doing anything, but I leave on the 6th to go to Telluride."

Dad: "you're going to telluride? where are you staying?"

Me: (where the hell does he THINK i'm staying?) "mom didn't tell you? I'm staying at your condo with Alexis and her family."

Dad: "oh. well, then I'll just leave on the 6th and you can drop me off at the airport on your way."

Me: (since when did the airport become 'on my way' to telluride.) "uh, well, I was planning on leaving REALLY early. can you look for flights that leave on the 5th?"

Dad: "but that only gives us, um, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th together."

pause (while *I* think, gee, that sounds like an awfully long time to me!)

Dad: "oh, I guess that's plenty of time. Ok, I'm going to go buy tickets."

Me: "Ok. let me know." (and thinking, shit, I'm gonna miss Jenifer's knit night. bad bad ungrateful daughter!)

(side note: that conversation just doesn't sound the same in English)

Now, if you know anyone that's second generation (meaning, parents are immigrants, and they're the first generation to be born in the states), or any ABCs, you're probably familiar with this horrid guilt we carry around. Trying to respect our parent's values and traditions, but not understanding why they moved over here if the 'old country' was so freaking great. Sigh. Bad bad ungrateful daughter.

But yes, we can take it down to Defcon 5. My mom just called and said that they're going to LA instead. Whew! (bad bad ungrateful daughter).

I'm having a few people over tonight. A small gathering of the denver knitting crew.

I can show off the finished OSW made with candy blue cotton ease. I cast on for a different tank, using Classic Elite Provence, a mercerized (WTF does that mean?) cotton in 'heliotrope,' aka purple. I'm using the Soleil pattern from Knitty.

Last but not least. I've decided to do the Rogue a long with Cathi, Stacey, Michelle, and Jenifer. But I haven't got any yarn! Anyone want to suggest a yarn with 18sts/4inch gauge on size 5-8 needles (i would prefer size 7 or 8)? I want a solid color yarn or one with very subtle effects in order to show off the cables.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! I hope you won't think my commenting weird- I found you through several passages (so to speak) of various knitting-related links, and had to comment because I know exactly what you're talking about in terms of the guilt us second generation people are carrying around, though mine is in the form of not being able to 'take advantage of the great things America has to offer young people' the way my mother would like me to.

Heh. Yeah Chinese power! :-D

Oh, also, you mentioned that the conversation doesn't sound the same in English, so I was just curious as to whether you spoke Mandarin or Cantonese, because I'm a dork like that ;)

6/25/05, 8:18 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

you are not an ungreatful daughter! your just young and have a life. trust me!!!!! i was never smoothered like that, but i have adoring parents, and yes i basically LIVED with them after college, but it was okay. then got married. i am the youngest of 5 kids:) i think you should use peace fleece, from knitpixie.com at $7.50 for 200 yards for the worsted or 350 yards for the DK it make it affordable to make rogue. check it out. i am going to be using it for the hourglass sweater:)

6/26/05, 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your parent's are so funny! I'm glad it worked all worked out. I'm sorry I didn't make it last night. I was going to try to make it, but we did some hard core landscaping yesterday and I was dead tired and slightly wounded. I'm sure it was a great time. Can't wait to see your OSW!

6/26/05, 8:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I can't wait to see your One Skein Wonder.

6/26/05, 12:02 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Please- we just had the conversation last week about how you had been with people almost non-stop since the summer began. You deserve a break! Can't wait to hear how the knit group went- I'm sad I missed kitties, your fab place and I'm only assuming your famous spinach artichoke dip. When are you coming back from Telluride?

6/26/05, 5:15 PM  
Blogger celia said...

I can SO relate to that conversation! And I do agree, it doesn't sound the sam in English, and probably hard for a non-Chinese to understand. I'm a smothered only child, what about you?

cela

6/26/05, 9:55 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Is it bad that the first thing I thought was oh, no, Cynth will miss the knitting on the 1st! And while I don't have Chinese parents or the guilt of the second generation, my mother can throw a mean guilt trip too, so I can somewhat relate. It would be nice to meet your parents (I think), but I'm glad they're going to LA instead.

6/27/05, 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parents tend to bring out the best in us! I think on some level we can all relate.

Happy Knitting.

6/27/05, 8:17 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Ha ha you bad daughter, you. We can have the conversation some day about what being an ungrateful daughter is really like (I'm one as well). I hope you can make it Friday! I'll send an email out maybe later today. I bet you had a great time on Saturday.... now I know that the secret to not missing get togethers is to have them at my house! I'm so excited about you wanting to do the Rogue along with us. There's always knitpicks for a budget-minded option. I'll have to show you some of my own stash if you want to maybe buy some. :) The yarn re-organization is scheduled for this week, with the goal of finishing by Friday.

6/27/05, 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your conversation makes me laugh. It sounds remarkably familiar to ones I've had with my parents.
Sorry I missed Friday. We helped a friend move to Rifle over the weekend and he ended up staying the night at our house on Friday (not a planned part of his move) so I didn't think it was a good idea to leave his sitting around alone.

6/27/05, 11:34 AM  
Blogger Wilma Fingerdu said...

i understand...I understand COMPLETELY

6/29/05, 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home