"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Oompa Loompa

I took my buddy (who's 5) to lunch and a movie yesterday. We had originally planned to see Herbie Fully Loaded, but the movie time I had gotten from Moviefone was WRONG. We watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead, which was... different.

A few things:
a) Johnny Depp's a good looking guy. Now, he's never rung my bells, but I can see the appeal. Why does he take these strange roles?

b) Squirrels? Where are the golden geese?

c) I wanted the flying fizz.

d) "What do you get when your kid is a BRAT?" was nowhere to be found. Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but those Oompa Loompa songs about the other kids were my favorite parts of the movie.

But overall, it wasn't a bad re-make. I just wonder if they should've waited a bit longer until they remade the movie.

In knitting news, I've been bombarded with helping Celia with the International Secret Scarf Exchange. I have a whole new appreciation for Rox for hosting the SP5 with over 600 participants! What a headache and logistical nightmare that must've been!

I also started on a sock for my Sockpal-2-za hosted by Alison. I'm using the pattern out of the Fall issue of Interweave Knits for these socks (scroll down). I'm having some laddering issues... here's a close up.




Do you see the evil kitty trying to attack my sock? I sincerely hope my sock pal is NOT allergic to kitties.

Anyone have suggestions on how to tighten up? I'm not laddering where I switch from needle to needle, but in the ribs (going from K to P, but not from P to K). I have this same issue on my Tempting, which might be why I'm stalled/not particularly motivated on that project.

Small gripe about this pattern... hello? Everyone does NOT have the same size feet! Please write the pattern in a manner that can be easily modified for larger or smaller feet! Sheesh!

I've also got my match up for the Needle Exchange hosted by Catherine. I can't wait to have fun with that exchange!

I'm almost done with the back portion of my Soleil tank. Why is it that finishing is so hard to do? A pic of it finished by the end of the week, blocked or not. Though, seeing as I haven't touched it since Friday night... hmm.

Finally, I ordered yarn for Rogue. Stacey and a few others finally convinced me to use Peace Fleece for the project. I had bought some Cascade and Lamb's Pride with Rogue in mind, but decided that neither the purple blue Cascade color nor the red Lamb's Pride was going to do the pattern justice. So I bought this color.

What? What did you say? Am I going to return the other two sets of yarn?
If you truly asked this question, then you are either a) not a knitter, b) out of your ever lovin' mind, c) don't know me at ALL, or d) a combination of the above.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from your needle exchange sp!! :)

7/18/05, 2:06 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

You are so funny.

There are different theories for ways to avoid laddering. I've never been successful at it and just don't worry about it. However, it sounds like your problem could be more with your tension as you're switching from K to P. The only thing I could suggest is to try and tighten your stitches after K and going to P, but I'm not really sure on that one.

Love the color of Peace Fleece you chose. That is the perfect color for you.

7/18/05, 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee! You ordered your yarn!!! I love that color and thought of you immediately when I saw it. Concerning the laddering issue, I agree with Wanda, try tightening up when you are switching from knit to purl. I had this problem when I first started knitting and it gets better with practice...I know, that's not what you want to hear:)

7/18/05, 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I'm glad to hear you ordered that yarn. Your rouge is going to look great!!

Laddering issues. I get that same problem sometimes. I think it's the yarn type. Some stuff just works up better in stockinette... maybe its the twist when they spin it or something. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

7/18/05, 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the color of your Peace Fleece. Very Pretty!! I can't wait to see what your Rogue looks like when it is finished.

Happy Knitting

7/18/05, 3:34 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Ooh, that's such a nice color of Peace Fleece. Plus, you're making a social statement. (Why don't I order from them more often?) Good luck on those socks!

7/18/05, 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't intended as a remake of the original film, but as another film based on the original Roald Dahl novel... so they used Dahl's original song lyrics instead of the ones from the other film.

Just my two cents - I've been defending the film because of my silly eternal devotion to Burton-Depp-Elfman. :)

7/19/05, 9:22 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Try twisting the first stitch (so tyhat it tightens up. What I do is wind the yarn the wrong way around when forming the naughty loose stitch. this shortens the loop and pulls it together a little.

Thanks so much for all your help!

celia

7/19/05, 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was no fizzy lifting drink or golden geese in the book. I like the first movie (I don't consider the original) but I like this one too. I just hope they make the sequel, "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator." It will also be good that we won't have a past version to compare that movie to.

7/22/05, 3:07 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I say what your secret pal said...lol, but i defend Raoul Dahl (one of my daughter's favorite authors) He also wrote James and the Giant Peach (I think), Matilda, The BFG...etc. I love that Johnny Depp attacks characters no one else seems to have the gumption to take on! Oh yeah, I am here about your sockapal2za sock! Great colors. You will do wonderfully after you find your way to keep the ladders to a minimum (I do magic loop)

7/26/05, 4:51 AM  
Blogger Karlie said...

Yes, very nice sock! Beautiful colours! And I concur with the last few comments. It was an excellent adaptation of the book, as opposed to the old one (which I really, really like too!) which took a few more - shall we say - liberties. Fizzy lifting drink is actually mentioned in the sequel book, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

I also laughed at Christopher Lee as a dentist. Loverly!

7/27/05, 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home