"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, October 10, 2005

along: to go WITH...

i think i need someone else to define for me how a knit along is supposed to work. as soon as i sign up for one? i stop knitting on that project.

let's look at the evidence.

#1
scarfstyle a long.
joined with the intent to get help with backyard leaves. which has been living in a UFO storage bin since last spring.

#2
sockpal2za
ahem. the only reason they were only a week late is b/c i hid all my other projects and let ALL my knit friends know that they were due pronto. and that someone was waiting for them.

#3
international scarf exchange
again. the scarf was due Sept 30th. Have you seen a pic of the scarf? No? hmmm. wonder what happened? really...i was working on the damn socks (which were due Oct 15th)



Finito!! (umm... 2 weeks late?) and it needs to be shipped internationally. Sigh. i need you, yes YOU, to help me resist temptation to join every darn knit along I see.

i leave the jury with those three pieces of incriminating evidence to come to a decision.

What else have I been working on? Besides being in the clinic 3 days a week, I've got training at SPAN (domestic violence shelter) on thurs nights from 7-10p, and Saturdays from 8a-5p. Don't these folks know i need time to KNIT?



that's the greek pullover from IK Fall 05 that i'm knitting for my very small pregnant friend. I changed the pattern quite a bit to accomodate her teeny tininess, and the expanding belly and breastisies. I made the back 15" wide, then made the smallest printed size for the front. no decreases at all. made the sleeves with 5 fewer stitches on each arm. i need to finish attaching the sleeves, then find some chiffon for Stacey to help me sew on the ruffles around the hem and cuffs.

while i'm baring some embarrassing secrets with you all? i present you with...



that would be my couch...turned upside down, leaning on my ottoman. Why have I literally turned my living room upside down? Because I'm reliving my childhood and wanted a cool fort.

oh. you didn't buy that? um... well... because I was knitting on those socks, and dropped a DPN down the side. and my fingers couldn't coax it out and the pillows don't come off... so I had to tip the whole thing over so gravity could help me. If that hadn't worked, I wouldn't have put ripping out the bottom of the couch past me. Have I officially joined the nutty knitter circle? (if only i were as talented as Franklin who would've drawn a cute crazy cartoon instead of posting a boring pic).

next blog update (for those of you that don't want to have to keep checking... (hint hint... bloglines anyone?) I will regulary schedule a blog update on, um, Thursdays? Maybe.

By then, I hope to have joined the Spork a long, made a decision on Rogue, and finish the greek pullover.

16 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

I hear you on the knitalong addictions ... when I finally come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to finish something I just quietly remove the button. But notice I've got over 5 buttons up now ... and I'm about to join another. My new MO: finish the product, and THEN join. :)

10/10/05, 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarf looks great! The recipient is going to love it. Sorry I missed you on Friday believe it or not I got lost. By the time I got back home I realized that i had your phone number and could have called you for help.

Duh!

Happy Knitting

10/10/05, 8:06 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

your poor sofa!!! the DP needle is worth the sacrafice, he knows it ;) KAL's are bad luck for me too! I started the hourglass sweater for my mom and have yet to finish the thing!!!!

10/10/05, 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have trouble enough getting to the FO stage myself... looks like I'll avoid all but the easiest -a-longs for now. ;)

(P.S. Because of this foolish holiday weekend and the crazy short hours of the post offices, I haven't mailed the package yet. Rumor has it that the USPS resumes service on Tuesday. I just have to find the closest P.O. to work and sneak out during my lunch break.)

10/10/05, 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is *so* why I don't do knit-alongs. Everyone would be done and on their 5th following project, and I'd still be not finished.
The scarf looks good. Good luck getting it in the post.
And I hope that all your counseling is going well. I admire your ability to help others without actually taking the pain on yourself.

10/10/05, 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I forgot about the Post Office being closed. Crap. I had stuff to mail, oh what's one more day?!Ummm, back to you and your knitalong problem...I totally agree! I am the worst about joining knitalongs...I can't seem to control myself. Let's help each other out with that, ok? Thanks for the update...I'll look forward to Thursday:)

10/10/05, 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kind of liked your first excuse for the couch! and i loved the picture of the sweater from the it's unique perspective. don't worry about the a-longs, a lot of us have that problem...my spal2 socks got done really late too even though i started them in a very timely fashion!

10/10/05, 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I don't think I'll be much help deterring you from joining KALs since I seem to have the same problem. Oh well. At least you know you can whine to me about it. I'll totally understand. :D

10/10/05, 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarf is GORGEOUS!! what pattern did you use for that?? I love the beading!

10/10/05, 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a part of the clapotis-along since February. All I've done is bought the yarn.

10/11/05, 8:35 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Thank you! :P

The seaming looks great, are you feeling good about it? I bet (I was going to attempt to spell her name, but am afraid I will butcher it) your friend is going to love it.

I think you're doing pretty good with KALs- you neglected to mention that you did finish Blizzard, so technically, your SS KAL obligation is fulfilled. At least you're not a bail-er on the gift exchanges, which really is the worst kind of KAL joiner.

10/11/05, 9:51 AM  
Blogger emy said...

You just need to hold yourself back from joining too many swaps or exchanges... :P

I have to keep myself in check too! LOL~ all those temptations.

10/12/05, 10:16 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

It's really hard to not join kals. I join some and complete them, but it's really hard to stay on track and I recently joined the Spork-along and haven't started knitting on it at all. Thank God the Sockapalooza socks are done and over with!

10/12/05, 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just had to comment about your blog name- sooo true. I'm an impatient lass myself, and knitting hasn't done me a bit of good.
Hand grating cheese works better. =P

10/12/05, 7:03 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Remind me....what day is it today? :P

10/13/05, 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia

My new scarf arrived today, I love it. It goes perfectly with what I am wearing today as well, white top, black skirt, denim jacket - the blues and ambers of the beads are the perfect complement.

I am really happy to receive it, I saw your starter photos ages ago on your blog and thought how cool and searched for the name of the scarf but couldn't find it.. well now I have one of my own and I didn't even have to knit a stitch!

Thanks so much

Lee

10/18/05, 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home