"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Nagging: friend or foe?

So... my brother and I didn't get along very well when we were young. As adults, we've banded together to fight the foe of the nagging parents. I know some of you might remember my DEFCON 5 post... and they strike again. My brother has been unemployed for the last few months, but only recently told the parental units. I haven't told my parents about my application process for PhD programs. Why, you ask? Why would telling them something that simple, something that most parents would be happy about, be so difficult for me? Let's examine.

After my brother told my parents about his unemployed status, he hasn't had a moment of peace. As a male, and the older sibling, he's usually left alone to his own devices (relatively... in comparison to moi). Now? HAH AHAHAHHAHA. He's getting called by them at LEAST once per day, if not several times per day to see how things are going. I imagine the conversation to go something like this...

Bro: Hi Dad
Dad: Uh, Tony-a (not pronounced Tanya, but say Tony, then stick an 'ah' at the end. three syllables)... We just wanted to see what jobs you were looking at? Have you been applying?
Bro: uhh...well...
Dad: Have you heard back from any yet? You know the longer you're unemployed, the worse it looks...
Bro: well, yeah, I kno...
Dad: Have you thought about going back to school to get a master's or phD? We told you that you should've gotten more schooling. Your undergrad degree isn't even in your field, which will make it very difficult for you to find a job. It makes you less credible.
Bro: (meanwhile, he's rolling his eyes and his tongue is about bitten through) Uh, yeah, ok Dad...
Dad: and now that you're getting married, you have to think about the practicality of your career and supporting a wife and kids. you're not getting any younger you know.
Bro: Yeah, got that. I gotta go now Dad.

So. moving on to me (b/c that's what this blog is about, after all). My brother knows I am applying but also knows not to tell them about it quite yet. Why?

Tonight's conversation with parents:
Mom: Dad and I are thinking of going to Taiwan next November... do you want to come?
Me: well, i don't know what I'll be doing then...
Mom: that's right... you don't. When will you know? When will you be finished with that school? Didn't you say you wanted to... Dad says you need a PhD degree, minimum. Have you started applying to programs? You said you wanted to get a doctorate.
Me: well, umm...
Mom: you're not getting any younger you know.
Me: *sigh*

Knitting content:
Here's backyard leaves, for my friend Ann. Blocked (with many thanks!) by Cathi

Yarn: Classic Elite Wings, 3 skeins
Needles: Addi Natura, size 7
Pattern: need I say? backyeard leaves, scarfstyle

Alarming knitting content:
Where o where did my new needle notion go?
ra-row (a la scooby doo)!!!
I think it's in here:



crap.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Glad that you and your brother have banded together to survive your parents!

Other than not having a stubby crooked tail, you cat looks so much like Chaos it's scary! I bet your knitting notion isn't in your kitty. I bet it's hidden/lost under an appliance or piece of furniture...

1/6/06, 6:15 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oh my! she ate a notion!!!!i am so glad i have easy going parents... i did disapoint them when i quit college to get married and now i have kids i like staying home! good luck cyn...

1/6/06, 6:30 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Ha ha ha ... oh, how parents drive their children insane! :) That's the other definition of "parenting" by the way. Re: WA state, since Dave finished his MA he can get a job in WA state paying about $20,000 more per year ... and so we're thinking of going up there for about two years or so, just renting out our house and renting up there, enjoying the rainy NW, and paying off student loans. That's the story! I've had a big cold, so I don't think I'll be making it tonight. Thanks for the invite to the group, though!

1/6/06, 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of a knitting notion did kitty eat? Most of mine woulnd't go down very easily!

*My* parents used to bug *me* about why Mr. F (most definitely NOT their child) doesn't have a college degree, and when is he going back to school, etc., etc. Fortunately, they've relaxed over the years as they've seen he can be successful without following their notion of the right path in life. This is one major deterrent to reproduction: I don't want to become a nagger myself!

1/6/06, 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your backyard leaves is gorgeous. Love the color! I have to knit that too. Such a pretty pattern. Hope that all is well with you chickie!

1/6/06, 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home