"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Secret Pal 7 questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

I am a bit of a snob, though LB cotton ease takes up considerable space in my stash. I do use the baby yarns of those brands to make baby blankets on occasion.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I am a very novice spinner (drop spindle, top whorl). I only make baby blankets and, when it's called for, the edging of my knitting.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a lantern moon needle case, a wine bottle canister for straights, and a cd case for extraneous circs. I also have a needlemaster set that keeps those needles all tidy like.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting for about two years now. I threw myself in whole heartedly, and consider myself an intermediate knitter.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I do. Here it is.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I love citrus smells, vanilla and lilac (which might be the only flowery smell I absolutely love). I don't like musk smells or most flower scents.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I've rediscovered my love of the gummy candies... worms, sour patch kids, etc. But not ones with squishy centers. Favorite candy? Apple jolly ranchers. Favorite candy bar... twix.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

Trying to keep it limited to knitting. Not enough space for too many hobbies, as I get a little obsessive about them.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like all music, except gangsta rap and country. My computer does play mp3s and I have a mini ipod (which I love).

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love blues and greens. Not so much on the dark ones though (like navy and forest green). Brooks Farm yarn makes some colorways that make me drool, including this one.

I hate any shade of pink. Or anything that's too bright. Camels, taupes, tans, and beiges look absolutely horrible on me.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am single, with two cats (12 years old).

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes, no, yes, no, in that order. I don't like to emphasize the larger parts of me, which include the head and chest area.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I love natural materials, like wool and wool blends. I've enjoyed knitting with cherry tree hill supersock, Southwest trading company's bamboo, cascade 220, etc etc.
Right now, I'm obsessed with knitting my Lorna's Laces Ene's scarf out of scarfstyle.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

100% acrylics (except baby yarns) and anything else that's squeaky (like raw silk).

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

See above.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I like scarves b/c they allow you to experiment and get a product quickly. Socks are great for their portability. I really enjoy cables and lace work.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Ene's scarf, fair isle jazz, spork, and a scarf/mitten set for the Int'l Scarf Exchange


18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Depends on what it is... crocheted doily? not so much :) But anything fun or functional would be great!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I love my addi turbos and naturas. LOVE. I could get rid of all my straight
needles for all the use they get (except DPNs).

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Depends on the yarn I'm knitting with... I prefer my addi turbos for most, but if it's a slippery yarn, I like to use the addi naturas.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yep and yep. Not sure how I got along w/o them!

22. How did you learn to knit?

My grandma, and then relearned at a LYS.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

A few months old (Rogue)

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I don't have a favorite animated character that I can think of... though I do love animated movies (like the Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Aladdin, etc). I love puppies and kitty cats, as well as most furry cute animals (not bugs or birds though).

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving and 4th of July! I like the fireworks and the foods that go with both, which makes for a great time with either friends or family.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Books and yarn.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

none. I love interweave, and sometimes Vogue.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I just looked at the Sensational Knitted Socks book, which looks terrific. I only have size 7 and 8 addi naturas and would love to have other sizes. A set of lantern moon DPNs is a dream.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

My friend got me the Second treasury of magical knitting, which I'm excited to try soon. Taking a class for magical loop sock knitting in April. Steeking is very intriguing, but scary.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yep. I wear a size 6.5 shoe, and my measurements: about 8.5 inches in length, 3.5 inches wide.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

12/10.

32. Allergies?

none, unless you're planning on sending me a shipment of fake/imitation crab! :)

let me know if there's any other info you want/need. The best part about SP exchanges is getting to know one another and making new friends!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never participate in Secret Pal, but I love it when people answer the questionaires, you just find out so much about someone.

1/9/06, 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore The Usual Suspects. And lilac is definitely the best flower smell!
I agree with Rebekah -- you get to learn so many fun things about people who participate in SPs!

1/9/06, 9:21 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

have fun with SP 7... I decided to sit this one out ;)

1/9/06, 3:14 PM  
Blogger Jae said...

I just bought the Sensational Sock Book. I really like the options it gives you for any given weight of yarn.

This is my first SP and I, too, like reading everyone's answers.

1/9/06, 5:49 PM  
Blogger knit-n-stash said...

I just thought I would drop a note. I love the progress on your Ene! I also have enjoys reading the Questions and answers. Have a good week

1/11/06, 8:46 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for posting your SP7 questionnaire! I hope you enjoy spoiling your pal, and getting spoiled too!!

Shelby

1/20/06, 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home