"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Fricka fracka... grumble grumble

Until I settle on a pattern for the tank tops for the summer, I've been figuring out how to knit with DPNs. I bought some size ones, b/c the store didn't have any size 2s. My hands and fingers will adjust to using these teeny tiny needles, but how come I can't figure out how to PURL on these fuckers? I was trying to do some ribbing for practice, and I noticed that my stitches were all effed up if I had to change from knit to purl at the same time I went from one needle to another. Am I missing something? It's probably something completely obvious, and I have all the faith in the world that the Denver Knit Crew can help me here.

Ok, now that I've got that rant thar out of the way...
Can I gush about how lucky I am that I've found such a wonderful group of people to knit with? Even though I've just begun my journeys with these beautiful people, my life and heart have already been deeply touched by these special people. They've opened up their hearts, their creative genius brains, and their homes to me, making me laugh when I needed it, and tirelessly helping me stumble through my never ending quest to become a competent knitter. How come it seemed so easy to meet these wonderful people (Cathi, Stacey, Wanda, Michelle, etc etc!!!) in just a few short weeks, but I can't find a decent man to DATE, much less have a meaningful relationship with? Maybe I'll start crashing Jon's men's knitting group.

Oops. I slipped back into ranting, didn't I? On to Stash Enhancement... a subject that will rarely lead to ranting... on with the show.

Silk & Socks Posted by Hello


The brown and green silk tweed (Elsebeth Lavold's). I have plans for a nice tank out of this stuff. I bought mostly brown, and there was this one lonely green skein. C'mon! What's a girl supposed to do? Don't you think it'd make a beautiful accent color? like a trim at the bottom and top or something?

The blue/white/orange stuff is sock yarn. I've been swatching with this stuff.

Suzie Posted by Hello


Yes yes. This sad scarf is the same one from the very beginning of my blogging days. Since finishing the clap, I've been working on this one. See how the stripes are getting thinner? My friend made the comment that it looks like Charlie Brown's shirt. Hmph.

But the pattern did give me an idea that maybe someone more knowledgeable and creative could help me with... How about a tank that is one chevron wide? There is a similar idea floating around out there from Interweave but I like the look of this pattern better.

Toasties Posted by Hello


My very first skein of Interlacements!! Toasty Toes. See how colorful it is? Aren't we proud of me? It's even got some (gasp!) pink in it.

I bought most of this stuff (except for the sock yarn) at LaTiDa which was having a sale. The interlacements were 25% off, and the silk tweed was 40% off!

7 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

Yummy yarns! I bought my first interlacements at a la ti da sale, too! :) And as for the K/P issue ... me, too, it happens to me and it drives me crazy. There's a few things you can do, including giving your yarn an extra tug when going from a k to p stitch as the loose purl stitch is caused by too much slack in the yarn between the two stitches. Also, you can knit in the rnd and at the same time alternate the edge stitches by always knitting two or three or four more stitches off the next needle before using the "empty" needle to put stitches onto. Does that make sense? That makes it so that the line between the needles is always changing. Hope that helps! Jenifer

4/22/05, 7:04 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I so love that Interlacements colorway, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

And back at 'cha about the group- I'm so glad that I've met you.

4/22/05, 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What in the world possessed you to start with size 1's???? You are just asking for trouble.

I'm making some booties right now on size 3's, and that is small enough for me.

Good luck with the dpns. They're a lot of fun to knit with.

4/22/05, 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that silk tweed. I saw some the other day at La Ti Da. It was tough to make myself walk away from that. I really liked the rust color they had. I don't know if it's still there, but credit card is better off not knowing. Love to see what you decide to make with it. I agree the green will make a nice accent.

4/22/05, 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww...aren't knitting buddies great! Did I read right? Are my eyes deceiving me? Did you buy yarn with pink in it?? I concur on starting on DPN's with a size one?! Too tiny, I'll let you borrow some bigger ones tonight to pracetice with! And bring your new yarn...I have to touch and feel.

4/22/05, 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steek? There was just a demo of that at our knitting guild meeting! It is a way to cut into your knitting. Well, actually, it is a way of knitting so that you don't have to purl, just knit round and round, and then cut, like for a cardigan, or armholes, or neck opening. Pretty cool! And not scary at all... well, not after the first cut! LOL

All you guys have such fun!!

4/22/05, 8:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Ranting is a major stress releaser so rant!!! love the yarns, you have worked a lot more than i have lately. looks great! great finds. like the pink ;)

4/24/05, 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home