"I hate waiting."

As you might guess, I'm a bit impatient. I had hoped that picking up a pair of knitting needles would help me learn about the virtue of patience... but it seems I just want my projects to go along as quickly as possible.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Inertia's a beeyatch, but Karma's been good to me.

Two of my friends ran the freaking BOSTON MARATHON today. They've both run marathons before, but this is the BOSTON. Even more impressive, they both finished. One friend ran it in about 3:30, with an average 8:20 mile. I'd be happy to run ONE mile in eight minutes, much less 26+ of them in a freaking row. The other finished her's in about 4 hours flat. I think her average mile was 8:40. Her brother ran the race in a little bit over 3 hours. The winner ran it in 2 hours, 11 minutes. Are my eyes the only ones bugging out?

What would it take to make you run 26 miles all at once? What kind of yarn, how many skeins? I'm thinking for me, it would be bags of assorted koigu, a few hanks of the Brooks Farm Yarn, a full set of Addi Turbos and Addi Naturas, some Manos del Uraguay, and.... well. whatever else is expensive and soft.

On to knitting news. I have none. I need to spend some serious time looking for patterns of summer stuff. I found some yarn (look here) that I'm loving, but want a cute pattern to go with it before I commit to buying it. A tank top with some detail (some lace work), not super thin straps, and some shaping. Any suggestions as to where to look? I'm wanting the heliotrope color. Or, (surprise surprise, victory garden. I love both.

I am shamelessly PLEADING for suggestions. Begging on hands and knees. The muscles in my arms and hands are atrophying as we speak, being saved only by notetaking in class, and typing out this blog. Please don't let my inertia for knitting go to waste, I'm on a roll here guys!! I finished my clap, i'm itching for another project to cast on.

My karma news: Not only the awesome RAOKs of late, but I finally met up with a professor that has been ignoring eluding me of late. He gave me an undeserved (maybe a little) bad grade LAST year (I'm talking, Spring 04 semester here), said he would think about changing it (his suggestion, not mine) and then promptly ignored my consequent attempts to meet up with him. I'm talking over 10 emails, stalking figuring out his teaching schedule and 'bumping' into him on campus to arrange a meeting, etc etc. He was a no show for meetings and wouldn't reply to my emails. I had decided to just let it go, but was a bit freaked when I figured out I had a class with him this term. In any case, we finally met, and he agreed to change my grade. Why do I care? I wouldn't, if this master's was going to be my terminal degree. But I'd like to do some research later on in my career, and getting a PhD is fairly crucial. A "B" in a grad program doesn't look nice.

EDIT
OH OH OH!! I forgot to mention that the bestest brother has sent me a present in the mail. I was expecting it, but it's still nice to come home to a package in the mail. It contained a) a new media card/memory stick for my camera, so I can save a zillion pics should I choose b) Office 2003 (which includes Powerpoint, Excel, and Publisher) and c) Micheal Jordan's TO THE MAX on DVD. That man has never ever failed to make me drool. Those arms. Those shoulders. Mmmmm Mmmmm GOOOOOOOD.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Hey there - have you checked out Soliiel in the latest Knitty - sounds like it's just what you're looking for. I started mine the other night and I'm finally on the 3rd repeat of the lace pattern. Check it out (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTsoleil.html) and let me know what you think.

4/19/05, 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think to run a marathon somebody would have to use one of those fishing poles like you see in cartoons. Yarn, just beyond my reach...
Nah, I'd just figure out a way to reach the pole without running. I'd probably just get one of you guys to pull the yarn into reach for me. Ha.
For a pattern idea... I can't vouch for the yarn weight called for this pattern cause I'm at work but what about Interweave Knits Summer 04 Lace Blouson (picture on the cover of that edition) is very pretty.

4/19/05, 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another pattern from knitty:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATThoneymoon.html

I am going to knit it once I get some other projects finished first.

I have tried crocheting. I just didn't like it as much as knitting. I made a scarf and it did go really fast. I am just obsessed with knitting. I probably going to pick up crocheting again sometime =0)

4/19/05, 10:27 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

That's awesome the professor changed your grade. Hmm, don't ask me to run b/c it's not happening. Did you see the Ribbon Xback in the latest knitty? Or any patterns from the latest Vogue or IK? There are usually tons of tanks, etc. for summer wear.

4/19/05, 2:42 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Oops, it helps if I go back and read before attempting to suggest something! I think it was Beth who suggest Soleil from the latest Knitty. It's the right gauge and everything for the CE Provence. The pattern also has lace, and some shaping. I think you would look stunning in it. Also, the heliotrope is a great color for you, and it's not green! Go for the heliotrope!!!

4/19/05, 2:49 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

My best friend Julie has run the Boston at least twice, and several other marathons as well. I need to start running again.

I love Honeymoon, but it does have those thinner straps. I also love the Chickami, in it's simplicity, but there is no lace work. I think Bonne Marie might have some other patterns with a little more detail...

4/20/05, 10:59 AM  
Blogger jen said...

PS -- berroco has a few good tank patterns to browse through.

4/22/05, 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home